A Year Without Jim

Keith Walters

• Premium Member

Hard to believe it was Aug 19 last year that Jim Jannard up and announced that we wasn't posting any more, and so far, true to his word, not a peep out of him anywhere.

Considering the regularity and vitriol of his postings over the last 9 years (well 8 if you leave out the last 12 months), it's truly bizarre how he's just gone off the air without a trace. I would love too have been a fly on the wall in that place...

What's actually happening with Red? Apart from occasional "Shot on Red" announcements on Red.com, they're not really saying anything any more.

The RedRay laser projector seems to be dead in the water. Yes I know people have reported seeing the images from prototypes, but that's not the same as mass production.

I remember a few years back making a joking claim that stills cameras that can shoot 4K video will be appearing in the Aldi "Surprise Buys" counter by about 2015, and damned if that's not almost happening :-)

Meanwhile the Dragon etc are still getting sand kicked in theirs faces by the supposedly lower spec Alexa. It's interesting that the D-20, the direct ancestor of the Alexa, preceded the Red One by some years. It would be somewhat ironic if the investors finally pulled the plug on the Red project while the Alexa kept on rockin' ....

• Upvote 1

Strange as it is I kind of miss you bagging on about him all the time (well maybe half the time).

Let's give it a try.

From a report titled 'Transforming the Defense Industrial Base - a Roadmap' by the US Department of Defence - they quote what appears to be Jim in appendix B - page 28:

"Athletes who were performing knew that our products gave them a competitive advantage, that same philosophy transcended into our work with military, and just as when I see Lance Armstrong cranking through the Alps, demonstrating time and time again why we’re number one, I get the same if not more of a high when I hear of our guys kicking somebody’s butt overseas wearing our product… and if we can do more for the military, more for the government, I’m going to be a number one fan of doing that…"

And then this:

"Evidence has emerged that sports brand Oakley continued to sponsor disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong for years after its CEO discovered the former Tour de France legend was a drug cheat."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-02/sponsor-turned-blind-eye-to-lance-armstrongs-doping/5564074

This is the bit where I'm meant to inject some cutting wit (?) ... Reality is I feel a bit creepy :rolleyes:

• Premium Member

"Evidence has emerged that sports brand Oakley continued to sponsor disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong for years after its CEO discovered the former Tour de France legend was a drug cheat."

That might explain the "Ministry of Truth" overhaul of the Oakley Website. For a long while Jim Jannard's name barely seemed to rate a mention in the "History" section, now, they don't even have a "History" section :rolleyes:

The other thing is that, contrary to what most Red-Heads still seem to cheerfully believe, Red was not a one-man-show; JJ occasionally made reference to his "other investors", apparently all Oakley Alumni.

Still, it doesn't answer the question: Where is Red going at the moment?

"This is the bit where I'm meant to inject some cutting wit (?) ... Reality is I feel a bit creepy :rolleyes:"

I don't see how that has anything to do with the efficacy or viability of his cameras.

"Hard to believe it was Aug 19 last year that Jim Jannard up and announced that we wasn't posting any more, and so far, true to his word, not a peep out of him anywhere. Considering the regularity and vitriol of his postings over the last 9 years (well 8 if you leave out the last 12 months), it's truly bizarre how he's just gone off the air without a trace. I would love too have been a fly on the wall in that place... What's actually happening with Red? Apart from occasional "Shot on Red" announcements on Red.com, they're not really saying anything any more."

Keith, please keep asking these kind of questions - you're not the only one who is curious as to why such an ebullient personality as Jannard suddenly went silent. Something definitely happened at RED last year, and inquiring minds would like to know.

-Jerry Murrel

Cinevision

Little Rock, AR

• Premium Member

From a report titled 'Transforming the Defense Industrial Base - a Roadmap' by the US Department of Defence - they quote what appears to be Jim in appendix B - page 28:

"Athletes who were performing knew that our products gave them a competitive advantage, that same philosophy transcended into our work with military, and just as when I see Lance Armstrong cranking through the Alps, demonstrating time and time again why we’re number one, I get the same if not more of a high when I hear of our guys kicking somebody’s butt overseas wearing our product… and if we can do more for the military, more for the government, I’m going to be a number one fan of doing that…"

This is quite fascinating. (Sorry the link is so long; there doesn't seem to be any way of making it into a shorter hyperlink).

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=0t_GKF5rmsYC&pg=SL2-PA28&lpg=SL2-PA28&dq=Athletes+who+were+performing+knew+that+our+products+gave+them+a+competitive+advantage,+that+same+philosophy+transcended+into+our+work+with+military&source=bl&ots=QbkybhZbHf&sig=AMn9kJ9xFn5KijYgenMSJrzrYDY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Ra31U4inE4m3uASzkILwAw&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Athletes%20who%20were%20performing%20knew%20that%20our%20products%20gave%20them%20a%20competitive%20advantage%2C%20that%20same%20philosophy%20transcended%20into%20our%20work%20with%20military&f=false

Ironically, one of the things I've always said is that if the Red cameras were half as good as the Fanboys were making them out to be, the potential military applications would far exceed the yeah-right-wannabe-Indy-Producer market they seem determined to pitch to. :rolleyes: