Aaton XTR - LCD Display Malfunction?

Alexander Boyd

Hey there,

first of all, I'm a total beginner when it comes to shooting film, using film cameras. I bought an Aaton XTR off ebay (I know, risky!) with the intention of learning how to shoot film and eventually shooting more film.

So, considering I don't know much yet (I have a DP-friend who regularly shoots film), I encountered the following:

after plugging in the battery, the LCD display seems to malfunction. It keeps displaying some weird signs as opposed to proper numbers. Now I don't know if that's my fault (eg. if I'm doing anything wrong) or if it's the camera.

I'll have the camera serviced in a couple of weeks anyway, just wanted to check if I it might have to be repaired and if I have to expect to put an extra bunch of money into it.

Attached is a picture of the LCD display. Maybe one of you can help me out?

Thanks in advance!

post-63790-0-72241500-1408804270_thumb.jpg

Hi Alexander,

that doesn't look good. Have you checked the manual for operating instructions http://www.calstatela.edu/sites/default/files/tvf/equip/equipmentpdfs/xtrplus.pdf ? If you try different functions of the lcd (page 13 in the manual) does the output on the display look better?

By the way, if I may ask: I have noticed that you have been selling quite a lot of S16 film cameras and equipment (Arri SR2, Minima, now the Aaton accessories). Just wondering how come so many film cameras are going through your hands? :)

Edited by Heikki Repo

Hi Heikki,

thanks for your answer. I did check out the manual. Lets say I turn on the camera and reset the camera the LCD displays what it should, but as soon as I press another button or a combination the numbers displayed become less and less comprehensible.

I sold the Arri for a befriended DP, the Minima was mine before I bought the XTR which I intend to keep - as long is functions properly, fingers crossed :p

My guess would be that the LCD and/or the IC taking care of the display output needs to be replaced. How expensive that might be I unfortunately do not know.

Hopefully you can get it running, shooting film is fun! :)

Edited by Heikki Repo