Question about a lighting setup (pictures included)

8349e21c7d8f4c2fcdc16bbe20873a62.jpg1ffe6e7f9f050e11c60b7c5336078b44.jpg

I'm hoping someone could enlighten me about these two shots (the first from The Social Network, the second Blade Runner.) I'm interested in how they were lit, practically speaking? I can see they both have practical sources- an orange outdoor light and a fluorescent bathroom light, but I'm curious as to whether any other sources or reflectors were used.

• Premium Member

It's pretty much just the practical lamp doing the lighting in the "Blade Runner" shot, with smoke to spread the light (smoke can even act to fill in the shadows a little). The backlight on the top of the head in "Social Network" May either be from the practical causing his hair to halo or there is something above the frame like a Kino tube creating that.

It's pretty much just the practical lamp doing the lighting in the "Blade Runner" shot, with smoke to spread the light (smoke can even act to fill in the shadows a little). The backlight on the top of the head in "Social Network" May either be from the practical causing his hair to halo or there is something above the frame like a Kino tube creating that.

Thanks v much for your help David! :)