Mahmoud Samir

Hi everyone,

I've one those searcher of the holygrail, searching for the filmlook without using stock.

The film below was shot on 60d and I thought the image texture was astounding.

I contacted the filmmaker and he wouldn't respond to what factor helped in acheving such texture from such camera.

I was wondering if its the L-series lens that contributed that?

Thus I came to you professionals to help me answer this question, How to get texture organic image from a DSLR?

Thanks for your reply Mr Mullen. I think I got the whole meaning of texture wrong then. :unsure:

Could we say I mean the level of color saturation in the film?

The film above here kinda reminded me level of filmic color saturation in Shawn's Christensen CURFEW. The reds and greens in that film above kinda kinda was on similar level to Curfew.

Now say you want to extract that level of color saturation from DSLR sensor how could do that?

Unfortnately I can't afford scanning the footage to a film stock like the makers of Curfew done.

So can this be acheived digitally? Any specific programs? Or Lenses is the factor?

I would really appreciate it if you could elaborate on the meaning of texture since I got it wrong Mr Mullen. :)

I admit I'm a newbie to cinematography and its a honor to learn here :)

I think want youre look to do is achievable with color correction. Davinci Resolve is free to download and play with, if you want to give it a whirl (http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve). A small word of warning though, color correction can get pretty complicated and getting a consistent look is really down to the skill, knowledge, and experience of the colorist. (And that said, of course it's still not going to be the same as shooting on film)

Edited by Josh Gladstone

• Premium Member

Texture in cinematography terms usually means film grain or digital noise. Think of it like printing a photograph on watercolor paper or canvas versus a perfectly flat glossy paper. The textured paper adds a subtle third dimension to the two dimensional photography. Also, with moving images film grain or digital noise changes frame to frame, creating the additional impression of movement even if the subjects in the frame are static.

• 4 weeks later...