Issues with Camera Power

Matt McDaniel

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why my super 8 isnt powering on and the battery check isnt working? I have a Chinon 506 smXL, using 6 new 1.5v alkaline AA's (as suggested by manual).

It seems previously some batteries lightly corroded in the battery holder; but i cleaned it up with vinegar and ensured they were in the clip correctly.

Any other ideas?

I've saved a couple cameras with vinegar, but corrosion often leaks from the battery compartment into the electronics. Once that happens it's pretty much gone (Or at least, its much more complicated to fix). The only way to know for sure is to open it up.

Edited by Josh Gladstone

I have a Chinon Pacific 60 SMR XL that came back to life after about 10 minutes of persistent button pushing. Seriously. The guy who sold it to me kept insisting that would work. I was willing to take it anyway because he only wanted 10 bucks for it but he wouldn't let me take it until it starting running. Which, thankfully, it finally did and it's worked fine since then.

Same thing with an old DAT machine that sat unused for many years. I just kept pushing buttons and turning it on and off until things starting moving again. Took about 20 minutes.

Anyways, worth a shot.

Sometimes after I clean a battery compartment I spin the batteries around inside the holder hoping it might catch a connection...could just be good luck but I've had two come back to life just by doing that and pressing the trigger in between.

If it leaked deeper like Josh said, it probably won't come back for you.

good luck