Sign in to follow this  
Greg Fiske

how to convert negative film in after effects or resolve?

If I invert the scan it turns blue. What am I doing wrong?

Possibly you are doing a blackwhite reverse on a color negative? Then the orange mask turns blue. The orange mask needs to be taken out separately.

That depends. Is this a DIY at-home scan? Is it color negative or b/w negative? Did you process it yourself and if so what chemistry did you use?

Yes, DIY home scan. Color negative. Pro8mm processed the film.

Color negative film has an orange tint to it. You can read about why here if you're interested: http://www.brianpritchard.com/why_colour_negative_is_orange.htm

Anyway, when you straight invert, that orange tint becomes blue. So you have a couple of options. You can capture it as-is and try to time the blue out in Resolve. Your results with this may or may not be acceptable. The better option would be to use a cyan filter (cyan being the opposite of orange). I've had pretty good results with my home setup using lighting gels between the light source and the film. You need very small pieces of gels, so I'd recommend getting some sample books (like these) and just cutting out small pieces. If you live in a city with a grip/expendables store, they usually have these samples for free. I know for sure that Mole Richardson in Hollywood does.

It's not that easy. Trying to color correct away from the mask will use up all of your bandwidth. The mask needs to be neutralized in the capture, either with software or possibly a cyan filter if you have enough light.