Blackmagic - crushed blacks

David Schmüdde

Hello everyone, I'm not getting what I expect to see from my raw file. I suspected it was a colorspace issue, but I don't see any other people having the same problem. Here are two still photos, from the exact same night, with the exact same settings.

Prores looks as I expected it:

prores.png

Raw looks to have a color temperature issue (no problem). Even worse, it is grainy and the blacks are crushed.

raw.png

I take it into Resolve and there just isn't much information in the black. It’s about a stop and a half under exposed at 1600, but that’s the amount of light we could afford to rent. I thought I may be looking at it in the wrong colorspace but I’m seeing no indication. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Schmuüdde

• Premium Member

David's right, in Resolve it's easy to accidentally do this...the LUT can be applied in several places that allows for a doubled LUT. I'm not an expert but check the footage in the media pool and then in the timeline; LUT's can be applied in both places and you only want it one.

That's just the tip I needed. I've never shot with a Blackmagic and was unfamiliar with "BMD Film". It was indeed double Rec.709'd. I viewed the sequence as BMD Film instead and that image aligned with my expectations.

You're brilliant, thank you.

Edit:

Oh, and Will, just saw your post -- that's exactly what it was. Thanks!

Edited by David Schmüdde