Proper Bluestar Eyecushion Size for SR3?

Karl Lee

I recently picked up a couple of Bluestar eyecushions for my SR3, and based on Bluestar's selection chart, I bought the small round size. I've tried a few times, but I haven't been able to get the small round eyecushion to fit on my SR3 eyepiece...it seems too small. So, for anyone who uses eyecushions with an SR3, what size do you usually use?

Thanks!

Edited by Karl Lee

• Premium Member

Large Round will fit, although the Small Round should as well with a bit of gentle stretching. If you go Large, you may need to add a bit of paper tape on the back to keep it from falling off. We used to refer to the eye chamois as a Teddy Bear butt; without tape we would have regular "prolapses." Sorry in advance if I grossed you out.

Since the SR3 eyepiece is oblong on one end and not perfectly circular and symmetrical, I had always assumed that an oval chamois would be needed for a proper fit, but I relied on on Bluestar's selection chart when making my selection. Maybe I'll try picking up a small oval and see if it fits any better, or try again an keep struggling with the small round :)

FYI, here's a link to Bluestar's eyepiece chamois selection chart, complete with photos of the various shapes, sizes, materials and colors they offer.

I'm not sure why I didn't notice this earlier, but according to the chart, they suggest either a large round or small round for the SR3.

Edited by Karl Lee

• Premium Member

The SR3 eyepiece is the same size as the 35mm eyepieces for the 535/435 so I always just used the same round ones. Don't think they had the small oval ones back in the day. A lot of the modern video eyecups (F5/55, Zacuto, Cineroid) use Large Oval and are a bit of struggle to get on, but once on they stay there.

Never tried Small Oval, is it a fairly new size? I only remember Small and Large Round when we were still using the SR3 on a regular basis.

Satsuki,

In case you hadn't noticed I'm seriously out of date. In the mid to late 80s it looked like a "small oval", but to be fair, I think I bumped into this term quite recently when looking at Blue Star catalogues. The only reasonable approach that a suplier can take (I think) is to list his eye patches as for particular cameras.