Viewfinder question

Michael Maier

• Premium Member

I asked around a little and no one knew the answer. It is not a high enough number to be 110% sure about focus, but it is high enough to get pretty damn close on most shots.

The only controls I am aware of are the Peeking, Zebra, Contrast, and Sharpness controls (as you mentioned). The rest of the options involve display settings (as in what to display in the finder).

There could be more, I just don't know them.

I am also assuming you are talking about the factory stock viewfinder.

Kevin Zanit

Yeah, I was talking about the stock viewfinder. I asked because somebody told me it was the very same resolution as any DVCAM, Digibeta and even the latest Betacam like the D600. 600 lines. I was really surprised, since the camera's resolution is almost the double of that. I couldn't confirm it, but many told me that for sure it's less than 1080 lines that the camera resolves. Reason it's impossible to shoot wihtout a monitor. Sony doesn't list it on the website, so it's hard to tell.

• Premium Member
Yeah, I was talking about the stock viewfinder. I asked because somebody told me it was the very same resolution as any DVCAM, Digibeta and even the latest Betacam like the D600.  600 lines. I was really surprised, since the camera's resolution is almost the double of that. I couldn't confirm it, but many told me that for sure it's less than 1080 lines that the camera resolves. Reason it's impossible to shoot wihtout a monitor. Sony doesn't list it on the website, so it's hard to tell.

"Impossible" is overstating it. I mean, the viewfinder is only 1" in size, so does it really need to be 1920 x 1080? No viewfinder THAT small is going to serve all needs anyway even IF it were 1920 x 1080. You need a larger image to judge certain things, and you obviously need a color image to judge color.

• Premium Member
"Impossible" is overstating it.  I mean, the viewfinder is only 1" in size, so does it really need to be 1920 x 1080?  No viewfinder THAT small is going to serve all needs anyway even IF it were 1920 x 1080.  You need a larger image to judge certain things, and you obviously need a color image to judge color.

I agree. I shoot a lot of footage with an XL1s and everyone knows about that thing's viewfinder. I have to have a monitor to see what I'm shooting and I can't begin to judge focus with the viewfinder. I've shot with the 700 model Sony HD camera. In comparison to the XL's viewfinder, I love it. But I still like to have a monitor.

"Impossible" is overstating it.  I mean, the viewfinder is only 1" in size, so does it really need to be 1920 x 1080?  No viewfinder THAT small is going to serve all needs anyway even IF it were 1920 x 1080.  You need a larger image to judge certain things, and you obviously need a color image to judge color.

I know what you mean. But I'm able to get pretty accuarte focus when shooting with a DSR570/DVC200 only with the viewfinder. By the way, do you know the F900 viewfinder's resoltuion David?

Edited by Michael Maier

• Premium Member

According to this:

http://www.gearpreview.com/film/hd/f900.html

"Horizontal Resolution: 500 TV Line (at center)"

According to this:

http://www.broadcam.com.au/accuscene.html

The Accuscene color viewfinder is 1280 x 720.

According to this:

http://www.cinealta.com/product/acquisitio...resolution'

The Sony LCD color viewfinder is 960 x 540.

All the info on the web, mainly from Sony's product brochure, have this "500 TV Line (at center") info for the b&w CRT viewfinder (the HDVF-20A). Don't know exactly what that means in terms of pixel resolution. Maybe it's 960 x 540 like their color LCD one.