What is the standard of Cinematography teaching on Film Courses in the UK

I have come across university courses for film making, where they do not seen to teach any photo science, no optics, exposure, lighting etc....

Some have no lights other than a few Red Heads....and yet claim to be training DOPs

This courses are approved by Skillset.

It is very difficult to get a true picture of whats going on, colleges say all is fantastiic and what student wants to just say I have finished a crap film school?

How many colleges / film schools are really teaching cinematography?

Extremely few.... only really the NFTS, but the thing with there is that they don't really take people fresh out of uni/school - it is more for people with a little experience under their belt.

The Met Film School does teach some proper stuff, but the poor staff have an uphill battle with the powers that be - a familiar tale at many schools I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Regardless of their content most of these courses are teaching people to do jobs that don't exist.

The content of the course may be drivel - I'm sure it often is - but right now that doesn't really seem like the key issue.

If there are two thousand people on year-long camera courses right now, that's one thousand, nine hundred and ninety-five more than we need.

P