C-stand turtle base maintenance (Matthews)?

Gregg MacPherson

I have some older Matthews C-stands with the turtle legs feeling really stiff. I was going to dissassemble them and and some synthetic grease but I can't see how to do that yet. Does one custom make a 40" extension for an allen key to hold the bolt while undoing the nut?

I saw on the MSE parts drawing that the turtle base is assembled with "white" grease. Assuming that any synthetic grease will do? A quick fix was a squirt of lanocoat from the outside. C-stands are hard to get in Neuvelle Zealandia, so worth fixing.

Here is a link to the MSE parts drawing

http://www.msegrip.com/blog-content/?p=437

Thanks for any ideas.

Hey thanks. What search words did you use to find that? I tried a couple of searches but didn't find anything.

The drawing on MSE's site lists the parts. That looks like a hex bolt (12) for the legs and spring assembly, which they list as "cap screw hex". First I thought it might be a socket head cap screw but I realise now it may be just a hex head bolt.

• Premium Member

Hey thanks. What search words did you use to find that? I tried a couple of searches but didn't find anything.

I remembered the discussion was a few years old, looked through the gripping forum archive pages from around that time. Sometimes your brain is a better search engine than a computer. :)