Used Scanner Prices

Anthony Schilling

Wow, look how much some of these former big boy scanners are selling for now, or actually not selling. I used to pay big bucks twice a year to have my films run through the Shadow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thomson-SHADOW-HD-SD-Telecine-Film-Scanner-/301319132473?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4628051539

• Upvote 1

with a good colorist, the shadow can output some very nice looking stuff. Steve Baldwin over at National Boston does a fine job with theirs. Agreed though, the business model is changing because of technology improving and getting cheaper while it does it. 2k scans of super 8 are cheaper than Hd telecine from some places.

• Site Sponsor

A typical telecine like a Spirit or Cintel DSX will consume 2500-3500 watts running and a bit less in idle.

I think our new fast 3.3K Xena is somewhere around 300w including the fast computer and disk array and the DaVinci Resolve with 24Tb and Titan GPUs around 500w or so.

Not to mention the Xenon bulb or CRT in the Telecine plus tons of specialized and expensive to replace cards and parts.

• Upvote 1