New Super 8 reversal film from Ferrania on Kickstarter

Matthew Modget

I know this has already been mentioned on other threads but I thought it warrants its own on the Super 8 one. You can pre-order 3 rolls of the new (as yet un-produced) Super 8 film from Ferrania by pledging on their KickStarter here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/filmferrania/100-more-years-of-analog-film

The only downside is that 3 rolls is the maximum you can get at the moment as KickStarter limits you to one pledge.

As much as I love the latitude of Vision3, I'd love to start shooting weddings on reversal stock again and this looks like the best bet for the future. They've even talked about their hopes for producing a 400 ISO and a 800/3200 ISO film in the future too, they need our support!

Absolutely... even if it's not as good as E100D, Velvia 50/100 or Provia 100F... but is significantly better than 200D (terrible), I would definitely go back to outdoor weddings on reversal!

It will interesting indeed to see how it compares with these emulsions. Have just pledged for some Ferrania 16mm. Personally, I rather like the Avichrome 200D in 16, nice colour and general appearance.... but yes rather grainy for many subjects.

Has anyone here any experience using this Scotch 100 stock when it was last available as a still film a few years ago? How did it compare with Ektachrome then ? I've never used it, can only remember the 1980s 1000 Scotchchrome with the Golfball Grain :lol: presumably quite different stuff.

Apparently RMS granularity of this film is 13, while AGFA 200 is 12 and Fujichrome Provia 400-X is 11, so do not expect it to be Vision3 50D. However, one thing to note: someone asked Ferrania on Twitter if they are going to do something about the grain. Their answer? Yes, it'll be the first improvement.

Edited by Heikki Repo
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

My only worry now is that Ferannia doesn't get themselves into a production bind or financial bind with the promise of film to contributors.

They calculated for all of that. $200,000 was what they needed to re-open the plant. Everything else is to produce, package & ship to contributors.

Edited by Bill DiPietra

Kodak used to charge around $100 for Vision 2 in 100' rolls if I remember correctly. Not sure about Ektachrome.

The kickstarter prices aren't the future retail prices. The films are a reward for the supporters. Much of the pledged money-amount is to be used to get things started.

• Premium Member

The kickstarter prices aren't the future retail prices. The films are a reward for the supporters. Much of the pledged money-amount is to be used to get things started.

I'm sure that's true but I doubt they could sell it for much less once production is up and running. It will be great to see if they can actually make the business side work and how they go about pricing. Too little and they'll have to close down. Too much and they alienate customers. I have a feeling it will have to be more than we'd expect.