ring light vs icelight on camera?

Hey all, I have a shoot coming up which takes place on a beach at night and the director wants the short throw look of a ring type light running around in the water with our subjects so that they're softly lit but the background fades into blackness fairly quickly.

He suggested a ringlight but I don't want to use a cheap LED ring light with a green or magenta tinge to it so I've sourced a Kinoflo ringlight which is pretty expensive to rent, and fairly large for the front of the camera.

I am starting to think that a Wescott Icelight would be a good lightweight option as they seem to have a high CRI and would have a similar look to a ringlight on camera, they are also battery powered in a compact format which means we can mount it and forget it throughout much of the shoot, using it only when we need it. They're significantly cheaper to rent, and the producer is being super tight with the budget.

My questions are:

-would an icelight and a kino ringlight be similar in terms of look? (we are not looking for circles in eyes at all)

-will an icelight work okay as a dim eyelight on closeups in other scenes which are also lit with tungsten lights? (concerned about CRI and temperature I suppose)

-have you ever used one (or two) mounted either side of the lens ?

Thank you very much for your insights!

Edited by David Schuurman