downtown LA shots?

goro toshima

hi all,

i'm looking to get some b-roll of downtown LA...i'm assuming somewhere in elysian area would be good.

does anybody have any specific places that are good?

thanks so much for your help.

gt

What are you looking for... From looking at a map the Elysian Valley area is somewhat distant from Downtown, which I think of as being ringed by the freeways, I-5 on the East, I-10 on the South, S-110 (How did that ever get renamed 110 from 11... but I digress...) on the West, and US 101 on the North.

There are many many films that use the Los Angeles River bed, and the 6th and 7th Street bridges.

And of course... there is the every popular problem that LA does require film permits and if one looks like one is 'pro' filming... one may have a visit from some form of law enforcement to make sure that permits have been issued.

What are you looking for... From looking at a map the Elysian Valley area is somewhat distant from Downtown, which I think of as being ringed by the freeways, I-5 on the East, I-10 on the South, S-110 (How did that ever get renamed 110 from 11... but I digress...) on the West, and US 101 on the North.

There are many many films that use the Los Angeles River bed, and the 6th and 7th Street bridges.

And of course... there is the every popular problem that LA does require film permits and if one looks like one is 'pro' filming... one may have a visit from some form of law enforcement to make sure that permits have been issued.

thanks john...i'm looking for downtown skyline shots. thanks for the bridge suggestion...do i need to know anything more specific about the bridge, in terms of location? or is it pretty obvious once i'm there, at the bridge?--not familiar with that location. thanks again.

I don't have a lot of time... but if you use google maps, and go to the 'street' level, I think most of Downtown LA would be covered and allow you to see some amount of 'waht the view would be' in the area.

For example, here is a 'street' view of 'downtown' from the 7th street Bridge.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.038486,-118.2279444,3a,75y,314.53h,82.76t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1soe9XaOeikmgLBoh1IBpVSQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

These days you can do a lot of public location scouting via google maps.

Goro, thanks for bringing this up, John, thanks for the link. I'm going down to LA in a couple weeks and will likely follow up with some shooting of my own from that bridge. Though I do go down frequently I'm usually around the 1st and Grand area (MOCA and Dorothy Chandler) so I'm not super fluent on where some areas are but this will get me exploring.....I'll be shooting with a Black Magic Pocket so I'll definitely be looking non-pro. I have gotten hassled shooting with my 4x5 downtown because they think it's a video camera.....

I don't have a lot of time... but if you use google maps, and go to the 'street' level, I think most of Downtown LA would be covered and allow you to see some amount of 'waht the view would be' in the area.

For example, here is a 'street' view of 'downtown' from the 7th street Bridge.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.038486,-118.2279444,3a,75y,314.53h,82.76t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1soe9XaOeikmgLBoh1IBpVSQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

These days you can do a lot of public location scouting via google maps.

thanks so much john...very helpful.