Joker 1600 - can a 15amp circuit reliably power it?

Have any folks with experience with a 1600W Joker had issues plugging it in to a regular 15Amp outlet, as opposed to a 20Amp outlet? Just trying to figure out what it's actual power draw is and how easy it would be to work with under time pressure in a doc setting.

• Premium Member

It's similar to plugging a 2K into a 20amp circuit -- it's usually OK but once you factor in line loss over a long extension cord, and perhaps with an HMI, the initial strike-up, you may occasionally have to deal with flipping the breaker back on. Plus you'd have to be absolutely sure that nothing else was on the same circuit because there is no room left over. In a doc situation, having the circuit breaker trip may be a bit intrusive unless you are just talking about shooting interviews where they don't mind being interrupted if the lights go out.

Personally, I'd use the 1600w Joker only when you have a 20amp circuit for it except in controlled shooting situations where you can deal with tripping the circuit accidentally.

• Premium Member

According to the company s literature (http://www.k5600.com/products/jb1600/jb1600.pdf) it can run on a 15amp circuit.

That being said, I couldn't find info on the actual current draw for the ps. I wouldn't try to add a significant amount of extension cord to it though.