Filmo 70D - Lubricating Oil

Bradley Conomy

Hi,

I just bought a Bell & Howell Filmo 70D and I had it running immediatly without out film to test it.

I relised that I might have been running it at slow speed and now it doesn't run so I am hoping running it at more than 24fps without film hasn't damaged it.

I figure it might need an oil. Who knows how long it has been since its last.

Can anyone tell me what Oil is meant to be used and where to get it. Can camera labs oil it or is there a commercially avaliable product?

Regards Brad

One of the wonderful attributes of the Bell & Howell Filmo is its simplicity. Unlike the $30K Arris, which are precision machines with extremely close tolerances, the Filmo is a simple, rugged machine designed for rough service and field repairs. A light weight oil such as sewing machine oil or 3-in-1 oil can be used at the oil holes. The shutter mechanism may need regreasing also; my Filmos sometimes howl and shriek to alert me to dry parts.

Why your camera no longer runs?

You may have hit a "dead spot" on the speed governor. Move the speed dial up or down slightly. Never run at high speed without film in the camera.

Have you wound the spring? If you get no resistance when winding, the mainspring may need replacement (unlikely). If the spring is wound tight and won't accept more winding, then the camera is jammed and needs disassembly to find the source. Get a repair manual off eBay; disassembly and cleaning is straightforward and a good way to appreciate your camera's mechanical nature.

Don't spend more than $50 dollars repairing a Filmo camera; if it has a serious breakage, sell it off for parts and buy another one.

Edited by Robert Hughes

Thanks for that.

The winding key is giving some resistance (kind of like a cranking sound) but it doesn't seem to have an end point.

It is highly frustrating because It had been running fine 10 mins before I posted the problem.

I will try oiling it and hopefully I can get a repair manual online.

Any other advice?

Regards Brad

I have searched ebay and the net and I can only seem to find repair manuals coving the following cameras.

BELL & HOWELL 70 16mm CAMERAS (-DA, -DL, -H, -DR, -HR)

How much different would these be for opening up the camera finding the problem then re assembling?

brad

Just wanted to add that you should not consider removing the spring from a Bell & Howell Filmo because without a special clamp it can violently unwind and do serious damage to your face.

The same applies to Eyemos.

I had that problem once. This is the solution I came up with: While holding down the trigger, push on the spring in the opposite manner from which you wind it. If you have hit a dead-spot, it will forced the drive to pop loose from it and work normally therein.

I have searched ebay and the net and I can only seem to find repair manuals coving the following cameras.

BELL & HOWELL 70 16mm CAMERAS (-DA, -DL, -H, -DR, -HR)

How much different would these be for opening up the camera finding the problem then re assembling?

brad

I have several b&h and thay do stop sometimes at a dead spot

when thay are dry.A trick ive found remove the lens you will be abel

to see the shutter, Hold the run button down then with some thing soft

(orange wood stick) try pushing the shutter out fo the dead spot.

NOW BE CAREFUL becaus the shutter will start spining rightaway.

Now if this does not work i would take it to Alan gorden enterprises

www.alangordon.com thay bought out b&h when thay went out of buss:

ton's of spera parts for all the 70 da,de,dr,hr,hs cameras, plus on staf

thay have a repairman who work at the factory with theas cameras

you should give them a call and ask for Tim. Tell him Tony

from aw photo sent you.good luck.

If Tony's suggestion doesn't work, you may consider pulling off the shutter assembly. Remove the rotating lens mount (careful - watch for 3 spring-loaded cams), then unscrew the shutter ass'y, taking care to catch the spring-loaded trigger when it jumps out. You should be able to move the drive gear with your finger, or have it unwind a few seconds. Refer to the maintenance manuals...