Bolex H16 Reflex Diopter stuck

Mira Steinzor

The focus adjustment ring on my bolex h16 reflex camera is stuck. I have tried focusing the ground glass with the lenses removed and the camera pointed at a bright light source. The ring will move a little bit and I can see the ground glass blurring and sharpening, but I do not have full movement of the ring. I tried losening the screw on the focus ring and re-tightening it, and it still will not budge. It feels as if it is catching on something, I can hear a little clicking noise when I try to turn it.

I am thinking that I may need to take apart the diopter to find out what is jamming it up internally. I can't figure out how to do this- apart from tightening and loosening the screw on the focus ring.

If it is possible, I would like to try to repair this by myself. Any suggestions?

If you take out the screw completely, you will see the tip is smooth and straight.

This tip rides in a groove on the eyepiece barrel itself.

With the screw out, you should be able to move the eyepiece barrel freely in and out.

If it moves freely, then put back the screw and tighten it little bit by little bit until you feel the tip catch in the groove. Tighten some more but not all the way. Too far and it might jam the barrel.

Rotating the plastic adjustment ring should now move the eyepiece assembly smoothly in and out through the whole range.

If this doesn't work, then you have another problem.

Jean-Louis