how to improve THIS lighting...

GregBest

[i hope this is allowed and the right place to do this]

I'm new at cameras (3 years part time hobby) and especially lighting. The scene: a moving convertible, top down, bright daytime afternoon sun, going for splashes of light between the trees, note the reflective sunglasses. This frame is from a partially shaded part, strait from camera, shot "flat", no correction or grading yet. Camera is moving from left to right in front of the driver. The whole shot will be 1 to 1.5 seconds - one of a dozen fast cut quick driving shots. It was shot at 4k, to be finished in 4k.

What could or should have been done to "improve" the lighting? What would have made it better? Any and all feedback appreciated. Thanks!

post-66402-0-34305900-1413558227_thumb.jpg

Edited by GregBest

• Premium Member

Not much you can do when the actor wears sunglasses like that and has to drive, though since you can't see his eyes, you don't have to light to see his eyes...

Most people would have to shoot in available light and would try to pick an optimal time of day and direction to drive.

Thanks for the feedback, David. I did pick the time as "approaching golden hour", and wanted the flashing sunlight coming through, fitting the time of day in the script and location. The sun to always come from his left. I'm okay with it - just inexperienced to know of better ways I could have done this.

• Premium Member

I really don't see that much wrong with it.

Unless you're doing a process trailer there really isn't too much to do with a day driving scene, since any lights you would want to rig up wouldn't at all overpower the sunlight (and still allow the actor to drive, safely).

This would be a moment when you're bring up what you recorded on the day in the grade; but as mentioned I don't see much wrong with that.

The only issue is the sunglasses-- you can throw some dulling spray on them, if they're an issue for reflections, of course you may not well be able to drive with them on then..

• Premium Member

I don't see any ways to improve it, except perhaps if you were on a process trailer and could back up the camera a little more and be less wide-angle. But in terms of improving the "lighting", like I said, I don't know of a way to light it, I'd certainly prefer to shoot something like this in natural light anyway.

• Upvote 1