F55 3D LUT (Non-destructive?)

Hi guys and gals,

My search resulted in 0 for this, so I want know; if I apply a 3D LUT directly into the F55 (via storage media) can I shoot in a non destructive way and still have access to the SLog/SGamut footage?

Thanks.

Luke.

• Premium Member

With the F5/55, you have a choice to separately apply the internal monitoring LUTs (called mLUT) to the viewfinder output, the two SDI monitor outputs (Sub), and also the two SDI record outputs (Main and Internal).

If you set the camera up for S-Log recording to SxS cards (Internal recording) and turn on mLUT for Viewfinder and Sub, you will be seeing the LUT on those outputs but still be recording S-Log. The Main SDI outputs will still show S-Log, and playback from the SxS card on all outputs will be S-Log. Also, if you turn on S&Q mode for over/undercranking, the mLUT feature gets disabled automatically.

If you also turn on mLUT for Main & Internal, then the mLUT gets baked into the recording on the SxS cards. You would only use this if you were simultaneously recording RAW and wanted the SxS as editing proxies with the look baked in.

If you are only shooting RAW with the R5 recorder, then nothing gets baked in.

With the F5/55, you have a choice to separately apply the internal monitoring LUTs (called mLUT) to the viewfinder output, the two SDI monitor outputs (Sub), and also the two SDI record outputs (Main and Internal).

If you set the camera up for S-Log recording to SxS cards (Internal recording) and turn on mLUT for Viewfinder and Sub, you will be seeing the LUT on those outputs but still be recording S-Log. The Main SDI outputs will still show S-Log, and playback from the SxS card on all outputs will be S-Log. Also, if you turn on S&Q mode for over/undercranking, the mLUT feature gets disabled automatically.

If you also turn on mLUT for Main & Internal, then the mLUT gets baked into the recording on the SxS cards. You would only use this if you were simultaneously recording RAW and wanted the SxS as editing proxies with the look baked in.

If you are only shooting RAW with the R5 recorder, then nothing gets baked in.

Thank you, Satsuki.

I am yet to use the F55, hence the question!

Would you recommend using an SD over the SxS for the MLUT? and can the LUT be created in Resolve or do we need to use Sony's software for the LUT to be applied as an MLUT?

Thanks for your time.

• Premium Member

I have yet to use the custom LUT from SD card. Abel Cine has a good tutorial on how to do it: http://blog.abelcine.com/2014/05/22/creating-and-importing-luts-for-the-sony-f5f55/.

Most people I know are using the in camera 3D LUT 'Rec709 Type A'. Like all the other 3D LUTs, they are listed under Look instead of LUT in the mLUT menu for some reason. The Type A LUT approximates the Alexa look, lower contrast with slightly desaturated colors and nice highlight roll off. Personally, I like the colors better than either of the Hyper Gammas (HG33, HG40), which are the other popular option.

Thank you, Satsuki.

I am yet to use the F55, hence the question!

Would you recommend using an SD over the SxS for the MLUT? and can the LUT be created in Resolve or do we need to use Sony's software for the LUT to be applied as an MLUT?

Thanks for your time.

The only real issue is creating a LUT whose characteristics you know and understand. By this I mean that unless the LUT you create has been thoroughly tested you could be making the wrong decisions on set as your monitoring LUT is unreliable.

Otherwise, which software you use to create the LUT is not an important element of the process. Just create it and test it, if possible, with your colourist.