how to rewire a colortran 6 fey mini brute from 220 to 110 with edison plugs

kelvincine

Hi All,

I'm an advanced digital filmmaking student @ the Digital Film Academy, DFA, in NYC. My thesis film, calls for an elaborate, EXT NIGHT sequence, where sodium vapors are the over whelming light source. I found 2 Colortran 650 mini brutes, in hopes of over powering the sodium's with tungsten or day light source. My issue is the instruments came wired with two, two pinned pigtailed post. I assume, they are 220V. I would like to rewire them to 110V Edison plugs. I can't decipher how to properly series them to either, 3 two light or 2, three light configurations. Please advise.

• Premium Member

I don't want to pour cold water on the idea, but think people might be quite cautious about giving advice on this sort of thing. Mistakes can, obviously, be dangerous, up to and including starting fires and killing people. If you can't easily figure it out with a multimeter, you should probably give the job to someone who can.

Again, hate to be a downer, but that's honestly the best advice I can give you.

P

How are you planning to power these lamps? Remember, when you halve the voltage, you double the amps. Assuming they have 6 x 650w globes, that's 35 amps @ 110v, way too much for house power. You'll need something like a Honda 6500 for each lamp, unless you can find something smaller and silenced, as well as some 60amp Bates .

It would be much simpler to rent a couple of 1.2kw HMI Pars, or Arri M18s, if you have the budget, and run them from house power.

I found 2 Colortran 650 mini brutes, in hopes of over powering the sodium's with tungsten or day light source. My issue is the instruments came wired with two, two pinned pigtailed post. I assume, they are 220V.

If you can post a picture of the connection it would be helpful.

Guy Holt, Gaffer, ScreenLight & Grip, Lighting and Grip Rental in Boston