200w Bulbs for Practicals in UK

200w-300w bulbs in UK!! Anyone know where to find small ones - i.e. standard tungsten size. I've found a few which are 137mm high - two big - as they protrude out the top of the lamp. The only solution I can think of is to take a 250w G6.35 halogen bulb and wire it into a standard bayonet fitting (b22). But then of course there is a voltage difference. Is there such an adapter to do this - can't seem to find one on the internet. Or can I use an inline transformer at the wall socket? Or will I need to run a cable up the back of the lamp-stand off another transformer?

• Premium Member

Hmm. Various halogen substitutes are available, though I notice they don't tend to have the traditional lightbulb shape and are often only available in 120V. Not the ends of invention to string a pair in series, though, and at least some of the types I'm seeing look smaller than the traditional design.

$(KGrHqR,!oIFHclHmIBoBS!91Pdqmg~~60_12.J

P

Are you familiar with photofloods?

I've just dug out a Philips No.1 and it's standard size.

http://www.techlamps.co.uk/photographic-lamps/photoflood/p1-1-bc-240v-275w-b22-pf207b?zenid=4ce6387e3b158834f064ce68e3737402

They're 3400k, of course. If you mean ordinary GLS bulbs, no, they're always bigger. Room for more filament, I imagine.

If the photoflood is too bright you could gel the shade. Only run them for a minute or two though.

Edited by Mark Dunn

My pleasure.

Photofloods run very hot so be careful with your lampshades. Bulb life is only a few hours as they are over-run- i.e. they are deliberately designed for a lower voltage so they burn brighter.

Just before a tungsten bulb blows, it appears very bright for a fraction of a second. Photofloods burn like that all the time.

As I said, they are a bit blue, 3400K, so might not match your other lighting perfectly.

Edited by Mark Dunn

200w-300w bulbs in UK!! Anyone know where to find small ones - i.e. standard tungsten size. I've found a few which are 137mm high - two big - as they protrude out the top of the lamp. The only solution I can think of is to ....

Hey Stephen,

Wouldn't it be faster to just switch out the lamshade and use the common 200W incandescent (we have them in NZ in the supermarket, maybe not for long).... :)