ARRI ALEXA or RED DRAGON-M

bledarcili

hi Everyone,

Im have trouble deciding if i want to buy a ARRI ALEXA(base package/wo HS liscense and raw option) or RED DRAGON-M. I work on commercials and Short films and was really interested in some different opinions from everyone.

Its a hard decision so i need as much help as i cant get. Please comment and leave your thoughts.

Hi,

I shot on both, both great cameras. If your aim is buying, I would consider a few things:

For RED:

1: RED Dragon is about half the price, even after adding accessories which could clear some money to buy lenses!

2: Dragon shoots 6K which could be handy for composing in post.

3 : Dragon is much smaller camera, making it suitable for all kind of light weight rigs etc.

For Alexa:

1: it's the industry standard.

2: better highlight rendering.

3: smother and easier post workflow with ProRes.

Last thing, did you consider an Amira? With the UHD upgrade it got + new ProRes Codec, it's actually the prefect camera for TV commercials and short films, it's much lighter and a joy to use, it's around the same price point of Dragon but it's a true pick up and shoot camera, I'm kinda of in love with it.

Also it really depends on your market and what people like to use and also which camera feel more comfortable to you and which look you like better. This is why I prefer renting, as you choose the camera for the project.

just my 2.

p.s - probably someone will tell you that you need to write your REAL first and family name per forum rules.

Hi,

I shot on both, both great cameras. If your aim is buying, I would consider a few things:

For RED:

1: RED Dragon is about half the price, even after adding accessories which could clear some money to buy lenses!

2: Dragon shoots 6K which could be handy for composing in post.

3 : Dragon is much smaller camera, making it suitable for all kind of light weight rigs etc.

For Alexa:

1: it's the industry standard.

2: better highlight rendering.

3: smother and easier post workflow with ProRes.

Last thing, did you consider an Amira? With the UHD upgrade it got + new ProRes Codec, it's actually the prefect camera for TV commercials and short films, it's much lighter and a joy to use, it's around the same price point of Dragon but it's a true pick up and shoot camera, I'm kinda of in love with it.

Also it really depends on your market and what people like to use and also which camera feel more comfortable to you and which look you like better. This is why I prefer renting, as you choose the camera for the project.

just my 2.

p.s - probably someone will tell you that you need to write your REAL first and family name per forum rules.

Alexa is better camera overall.

Alexa is better camera overall.

Actually, I don't agree. What I was trying to say is there is no one camera or best camera overall. Also, I'm not sure if you already shot on Dragon, but there are many benefits of sooting it over Alexa as there are benefits shooting Alexa over RED. Even though I have to say the benefits of shooting Alexa are less then what they were before RED Dragon.

Which camera is a better fit for your business plan?

Do you have a guaranteed cash flow potential for one or the other? If not why are you buying instead of renting?

After one year, two years, five years, etc. what would you expect as a reasonable return on your investment? (ROI)

Consider maintenance costs. (For example, Arri will cover an Alexa for maintenance for $5,000/year)

If you are a Producer as opposed to a DP/owner then which camera will be a better fit (faster/cheaper) for your entire work flow?

If you do not already have a strong understanding of what your customer base prefers you need to put more time in developing a business plan that will make you a profit.

In my part of the world rentals tend to be 70% Alexa, 20% Red Epic/Epic Dragon, 10% other - but Owner/operators are much more heavily leaning to the Red Epic/Dragon.

As to the cameras functionality, I find the Alexa very similar to shooting a film camera (intuative) and the Red Epic/Dragon a much more Brand centric device. I think the Red camera would require much more specialized training/study to learn the 'Eco system' for that product.

Neal Norton

DP- Florida

• 2 weeks later...
I use both Alexa and Dragon with new (OLPF highlight).

I think the question you have to do to be if you need a fast workflow (ProRes) or you can afford to have more time to manage the Raw.

I agree that Red requires more knowledge .Not be initially intuitive as ALexa.

However, the Dragon is a wonderful camera, better than Epic, in terms of dynamic range in the highlights, equal to Alexa with the new OLPF (highlight).

There are several tests in comparison with the new OLPF, if you want to push more with the ISO, you can replace OLPF with low light, but unless you have made in the highlights.

Offers the highest performance in external contamination, you do not need ND IR CUT, while Alexa after 1.2 Nd has contamination, has a beatiful color rendering, has more resolution. Cost half, you can use it on a gimbal, a octocopter, many adapters for different lenses.

Alexa is heavier, but also have more "taps" on the camera body.

There is the perfect camera.

Better REd or better ALexa!

They are beautiful both.

You can take a look here there is no information.

NEW OLPF highlight:

OLPF low light:

I hope to be of help.

• Premium Member

If commercials are where your income comes from, I'd opt for whichever one is more popular in your area Red or Arri. With the Dragon sensor, Red has taken a big step forward IQ-wise in my opinion. But I'd probably lean towards the Amira personally - just seems like the nicest camera currently on the market to shoot with (when raw isn't a necessity at least).

yep Mark,

Sure Arri Alexa or Amira is more popular than RED.

I must say that lately only shot on Carbon DRagon, I have more freedom of movement and practicality and light weight.
Alexa or Amira is excellent on the shoulders, but otherwise it's too heavy. But as it is said to have a camera full of everything on the body.
There are many aspects to consider, for now this two cameras are the best in the field.
Arri say that is better than Dragon now is wrong, there are small advantages in one and the other.
If you need to make money to hire, or better an Arri Alexa Amira, if you are independent and want to be as light as possible obviously Carbon Dragon RED.
The important thing is to work :)