I'm shooting a new first scene for an already shot feature that was shot in Mini-DV. I want to use a r 16 camera, in this case acting as a "B" cam to suplement coverage for a feature that was shot on mini-dv (16x9). The "A" cam will be a Panasonic DVX 100 AG utilizing 24p mode. The "B" cam will either be my Eclair ACL(1.5, w/ the better sync motor) or My Soopic M. Both are regular 16MM. The "B" cam footage will be slated to be used partially for slowmotion stuff but not entirely. My questions are:

-Should I bother bringing the film "B" cams?

-Will it match up if the film footage is edited in with the video footage?

-Can the telecine process help this?

Because the director just signed a movie deal with a studio, the feature is probably slated for direct to video/dvd release after playing at 3 or so film festivals. We don't have much of a budget($) at this point though.

Edited by lionel pina

• Premium Member

It will be extremely difficult to match DV to 16mm when cut back to back. There are so many different qualities about the image that are very hard - nearly impossible to match completely to the trained eye. The main differences will be the handling of highlights, the definition of the image, the depth of field and the artifacts in the image (grain / noise etc).

The telecine can help you with matching colours - but thats only half the battle. Do whatever you can to make the depth of field similar as this can't be fixed later. Also, your miniDV images will be razor sharp compared to the organic softness that the film grain in 16mm will most likely provide (subject to which actual stock it is of course). You *may* want to experiment with adding a grain texture to your miniDV to help match, although be sparing with it. Most people add far to much grain and in the wrong places when they're trying to "match" video and film. The result is just noisy video!

Theres another thread under video that asks a similar question, which of course attracts all the "film is God" brigade (You know: never make a film unless you have 65mm etc etc)

So the quick answer is to the trained eye, its almost impossible. To your average audience, well - they should be looking at your characters not your grain.

David Cox

Baraka Post Production

www.baraka.co.uk

Thank you sir. Your answer is very helpful.

-How about the 16x9 vs. the 4x3 issue?

BTW it is an outdoor scene that will probably be filmed at night with low lighting.

Although day for night is being considered.

The film camera will contain Kodak 5218/7218.

• Premium Member
Thank you sir. Your answer is very helpful.

-How about the 16x9 vs. the 4x3 issue?

BTW it is an outdoor scene that will probably be filmed at night with low lighting.

Although day for night is being considered.

The film camera will contain Kodak 5218/7218.

Hi,

You can mask the R16 to 16x9 or keep 4x3 so you can match whatever DV aspect ratio you shot.