What's the deal with C-mount lens prices?

They're popular with the micro 4/3's crowd ...

Owing to bad coverage over the slightly larger sensor (compared to 16mm) they lend themselves to the retro/Holga/instagram aesthetic.

They're 'authentic' - and thusly desired :rolleyes:

With a collection of Switar presets going wanting for something to focus onI'm thinking about buying into it myself ^_^

Many of them work on the Black Magic Pocket with either no or slight vignetting and these lenses cover perfectly on the Digital Bolex. They have aesthetic qualities that differentiate them from modern digital lenses. I have a couple. Of course I can also use them on my Eclair. Which is why you see more and more film Bolex's showing up on ebay with no lenses on them.....I was showing my BM Pocket to someone at a local film school and they were trying some Bolex lenses on it since they have all these old lenses laying around because very few people rent or use the cameras anymore......

• Premium Member

Before Red you could buy a whole set of anamorphic Lomos for couple of thousand dollars. Now they are asking nearly 10 times the price and anamorph-holics have picked about every single one of them, expensive or not :wacko:

On the other hand, you can buy film camera bodies very cheaply, even under 10th of the price they asked 5 years ago :mellow:

• Premium Member

Some lenses fly high in a whirlwind, for example the 75 mm, 100 mm and the 150 mm Kern Yvar, at over a thousand Dollar. These are triplets, I mean they consist of exactly three single lenses. Plus iris and the mount. Technical value 200 Dollar

Some Kinoptik apochromats deserve their prices, they’re an other class.

I'm hoping to get a Logmar S8 camera and couple it with some primes. I used to be able to pick up Switars between $99-$150 and now they start at $400. I had a set of AR 16/25/75mm that I sold with the camera for maybe $500 a few years ago and replaced it with a reflex package but unfortunately those lenses won't work.

On the other hand, you can buy film camera bodies very cheaply, even under 10th of the price they asked 5 years ago

Exactly, you can buy 16mm packages all day for peanuts but the kicker is that NONE of them ever include a lens. And most lenses for S16 start at $1000. Who wants to start a lens factory with me?