j buison

Black bars on top and bottom

Hi I am new her. I have a lot to learn.I want to make one of my videos with black bars(top/bottom}. The only problem is it cuts off the head and some parts in the bottom. How should I shoot videos on my camera that I want to put black bars in post? I have a GH4 camera if that matters.Thank you guys

If you are going to matte over the image in post with black bars on the top and bottom, then you're going to have to compose the image with that cropping in mind.

Hey David,

When you say compose, do you mean I have to just picture it being cropped while shooting? Maybe putting a sticker on both top and bottom of my camera would help?

Yes you need some sort of frame line guides to help you compose for the cropping. Some people use black paper tape or even Scotch tape on their LCD screens if the camera itself can't generate special frame lines.

Set your camera up on a tripod and shoot a focus chart in the same place where you can edit the image. Then take your footage and apply the black bars in whatever editing software you use. Freeze the image and look to see exactly what the black bars are cutting off. Then put the tape on the viewfinder in the corresponding areas of the frame.