Question about Telecine transfers

George Ebersole

• Premium Member

On a couple of my DVDs the contrast seems to fade in and out several times at specific moments on the disks. It doesn't appear to happen on the computer, but seems apparent on the DVD player hooked up to the TV.

Is this an indication of a bad disk, or a player that's maybe got some issues with it?

Thanks for any response.

• Premium Member

some tv:s can have automatic brightness adjustment in the picture mode which is switched on by default. it can for example go crazy if the movie has fades in it or cuts between shots with big brightness differences. you should try to change the tv:s picture mode, it may fix the problem easily

• Premium Member

Sounds almost like copy protection, I assume these DVD's were not ripped from other DVD's.

Maybe you should borrow another DVD player and compare it to yours.

No, these are straight from Warner Home video and MGM. One is "Dreams" by Kurosawa, the other is "A Midsummer Night's Dream". It doesn't happen through out the entire film, just at selected spots, and appears to be something happened in the DVD transfer itself. It lasts for about maybe a minute, then stops.

• Premium Member

some tv:s can have automatic brightness adjustment in the picture mode which is switched on by default. it can for example go crazy if the movie has fades in it or cuts between shots with big brightness differences. you should try to change the tv:s picture mode, it may fix the problem easily

Hmm, possible. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

• 1 year later...