• Premium Member

I just finished watching Manhattan again. Once again floored by Gordon Willis' photography, does anyone know what lenses he used for the exterior shots with only ambient light? There are quit a few...not just the famous one by the bridge.

Even better would be any articles I might be able to get my hands on. Thanks!

• Premium Member

The November 1982 "Lighting" issue of American Cinematographer had an article on the lighting of "Manhattan". Willis mentions that most of the movie was shot with a 100mm anamorphic, which probably was the C-series and thus limited to T/2.8. Though the "High Speed" anamorphics which were used on "Escape From New York" (1981) might have existed at the time of the "Manhattan" shoot two years earlier, in which case the HS 100mm anamorphic could open up to T/1.8.

• Premium Member

The November 1982 "Lighting" issue of American Cinematographer had an article on the lighting of "Manhattan". Willis mentions that most of the movie was shot with a 100mm anamorphic, which probably was the C-series and thus limited to T/2.8. Though the "High Speed" anamorphics which were used on "Escape From New York" (1981) might have existed at the time of the "Manhattan" shoot two years earlier, in which case the HS 100mm anamorphic could open up to T/1.8.

Thanks, David! I'll see if I can get the back issue.