Sony A7s lost clips

Hey guys,

Quick question about the Sony A7s

I 1st AC'd on a music video last weekend, and the director just messaged me that some of the footage we'd shot had somehow disappeared. Basically, the files were named so that they were in sequence, but somehow a bunch of shots on the roll were omitted in between. For example, a shot we did in the morning was labelled 0067, and then a shot we did on the same roll 3 hours later was labelled 0068, which made it seem like I didn't roll the mag for any of the shots we did in between. I know I did though, because we watched playback on lots of them.

I'm thinking the intermediating clips were saved on a different folder on the card for whatever reason, but the director and editor can't find them. Do any of you guys have experience with this happening? Has this camera ever just dropped a bunch of shots somehow?

It'd be awesome if you guys know anything about this.

Thanks!

I've just tried it out on my A55, which I believe has the same file structure.

The HD takes are numbered consecutively, even though I took stills in between. Might the camera have been set to create a new folder on removal of the card? Even so, I'd expect the filenames to be consecutive.

You need to have a comb through the memory card.

Next time, regular file copying to a computer seems advisable.

• Premium Member

One other thing.

I only had an A7s for a few days, but I recall it supports XAVC-S, AVCHD and MP4 codec and container options. Not sure if they all get recorded in the same place. Is there any chance for some reason the recording format might have been altered, leading to files going elsewhere?

P

Thanks guys, I'll update you all when we have an answer.

My 2nd did just tell me the card came out at lunch because they wanted to see some of the shots from the morning, but that the same one went back in the camera after, so maybe a new folder was created. Seems most likely.

• 3 weeks later...

this just happened to me and it is driving me nuts... i recorded a bunch this afternoon with the sony a7s. longer duration files for it was an interview/performance. i showed some people the shoot in-camera and they were there. i unoftunately had to run to another location to continue shooting and had no time to backup and i didn't. i think i had reached the end of the 64gb card and i started getting the error when trying to playback: "unable to display". i thought it would play fine in a computer but it didnt either. some of the mp4 files were missing. theu got deleted. the preview jpgs in folder THMBNL are there however. i don't understand... i use macs. is there ANY CHANCE i might recover these files? otherwise i just lost alot of money and time and worst of all, the performer just flew to another country so no chance of reshoot. heeeeeelp? 16x16_smiley-sad.png

• Premium Member

You might try a file-undeleting utility. I don't think the camera will have deliberately deleted the files, but such a utility might find fragments of files that weren't properly finished, or whatever. You might then be able to use various video conversion tools to read the incomplete files. Best I can think of, anyway. Worth a try.

Did you potentially change recording formats partway through? Have you looked in other parts of the card for material in other formats?

P

• 10 months later...

Hey guys,

Quick question about the Sony A7s

I 1st AC'd on a music video last weekend, and the director just messaged me that some of the footage we'd shot had somehow disappeared. Basically, the files were named so that they were in sequence, but somehow a bunch of shots on the roll were omitted in between. For example, a shot we did in the morning was labelled 0067, and then a shot we did on the same roll 3 hours later was labelled 0068, which made it seem like I didn't roll the mag for any of the shots we did in between. I know I did though, because we watched playback on lots of them.

I'm thinking the intermediating clips were saved on a different folder on the card for whatever reason, but the director and editor can't find them. Do any of you guys have experience with this happening? Has this camera ever just dropped a bunch of shots somehow?

It'd be awesome if you guys know anything about this.

Thanks!

Hey Noam,

I just faced the same problem and I can't find clips anywhere else in the folders.

I see all the thumbnails of what I've shot on the camera saying "unable to display". Nowhere else do I see evidence of their existence.

I do remember changing cards with another a7s camera before this happened but it's weird that this has happened over a period of 15 minutes after which recording is normal even though I didn't put the old card back or make any such changes.

The footage that's missing is very crucial!

Did you manage to find your clips??

Or has anyone else found a solution??

Please help!

Edited by Varun Mehra

Hey Noam,

I just faced the same problem and I can't find clips anywhere else in the folders.

I see all the thumbnails of what I've shot on the camera saying "unable to display". Nowhere else do I see evidence of their existence.

I do remember changing cards with another a7s camera before this happened but it's weird that this has happened over a period of 15 minutes after which recording is normal even though I didn't put the old card back or make any such changes.

The footage that's missing is very crucial! 

Did you manage to find your clips??

Or has anyone else found a solution??

Please help!

Hey dude, 

If it got resolved, I don't know anything about it unfortunately. 

Best of luck with your situation.