2.35 Aspect ratio on my external monitor

I have seen tutorials about how to get the 2.35 aspect ratio look in my editing suite. Mostly masking the top and button with a black rectangle. But then, when I am editing, it is really frustrating. Most of my shots are cut off both head and button and when i try to cut and reframe, I either get a jump cut or the lower parts get really really cut off. So I thought, perhaps there is an external monitor that has built in line which can be made visible on the screen when filming so that when i need to shoot for 2.35 aspect ratio i already know how to frame my shots to avoid any cutoff when i am faking the 2.35 in post. I dont want to glue anything on my external monitor just like the "rule of thirds" line that is virtually built in with most camera. Any idea if there is an external monitor like that? Link to such would be appreciated

• Premium Member

Some cameras and monitors are capable of displaying various guide frames. This will be specific to the equipment you have; consult the manual. Otherwise, it's quite normal to stick some black tape on the monitor, though you should take care to use a type that doesn't leave residue.

Phil

• Premium Member

Lots and lots; it depends what you want to spend. Something like a Lilliput 663, made by a company that previously made very low cost portable TVs, is a cheap way in. Some of the best small field monitors are made by SmallHD. Their DP7 will show framelines, among very many other features.

P