Nizo 6080

Joop Klang

Hi all,

my first post, for not having been in the super 8 world for 20 years. I own a Bauer 715xl and my beloved Nizo 6080. Since the light meter (excuse my english!) broke down I gave up. The camera was almost new, very rare used. Now I read here, this probably happened because of using 1,5v aa´s. Never thought that would do damage! I still miss the super 8 filming, so I might get it repared. But my question is (I coulnd´t find a clear-to-me answer here that quikly): are there still/again sound cartridges for sale? I rembember Kodak stopped in 1995 or so, but since I see here on this website that super 8 is still very alive, there might be some alternatives? Filming with sound is an absolute must for me!

Thanks!

Joop

Hi Mark,

thanks for your reply. You´re right of course, the quality of sound was not high-end. In the mean time I collected some information about digital sound recording (even using a i-Phone), looks all very doable. The only thing is that it looks that the cameras I have are much too heavy and large, since the filming itself would be without sound. I guess then instead getting my 6080 repaired, it is probably better to find a good Nizo professional or something...

Be glad you only fried the light meter! when I was in school we were never told not to use 1.5v alkaline batteries in the 6080s the film department loaned out to students ,and I personally fried a whole camera because of it. They're nice, but seriously fussy cameras. One thing they do have going for them in terms of shooting sync sound, is that they're pretty quiet.

If you're serious about shooting sync sound, you probably want a camera with crystal sync, since that will guarantee the speed of the camera is consistent. As long as you do, and you use a digital recorder, all you'll need to do is line up your slate/clap and everything will remain in sync. If you don't have a camera with crystal sync, the two will drift apart and you'll have to do some audio editing to keep things in sync, especially over long shots.

-perry

Hi all,

my first post, for not having been in the super 8 world for 20 years. I own a Bauer 715xl and my beloved Nizo 6080. Since the light meter (excuse my english!) broke down I gave up. The camera was almost new, very rare used. Now I read here, this probably happened because of using 1,5v aa´s. Never thought that would do damage! I still miss the super 8 filming, so I might get it repared. But my question is (I coulnd´t find a clear-to-me answer here that quikly): are there still/again sound cartridges for sale? I rembember Kodak stopped in 1995 or so, but since I see here on this website that super 8 is still very alive, there might be some alternatives? Filming with sound is an absolute must for me!

Thanks!

Joop

If you can still operate the aperture you could still use the camera with a handheld meter. Nice and quiet.

Repair would be costly and probably you would be better to get a known good one.

The belt version of the 715xl is a nice camera too. Good lens and quiet. The lame thing is that such an expensive camera only reads two filmspeeds. But is has good manual control and very good filming speed.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

• 2 years later...