Date: July 12, 2014 at 2:53:43 PM EDT
To: "Lynton, Michael"

Begin forwarded message:

Date: July 12, 2014 10:15:51 AM PDT

To: "Blake, Jeff"

Cc: "Pascal, Amy"

Subject: Re: Just heard the news

JEFF - thanks for this glimpse.

On the film stock issue, in addition to Quentin we also rep Chris Nolan, and with them and the studios and major IP creators / suppliers, including TWC, we're way into it with with Jeff Clarke, the new CEO post-bankruptcy of Kodak, to come up with a workable plan to preserve the manufacture of capture and print film stock at the one Kodak plant in Rochester, NY where the world supply of professional entertainment film is exclusively manufactured. We're working on a plan to keep the plant alive for two years through pre-buys while Kodak retools the factory to mainly manufacture film that's used in touch panels, which would carry the overhead while they continue to make entertainment film on the side. If that doesn't work out and the plant is going to shut down, we'll pre-buy enough for three years that will get us through EIGHT and one more film capture movie. All this is to say we're very aware of the situation and in a way this is the driver behind our 70MM / 35MM plan, which in the end depending on how things turn out with Kodak will fall somewhere between a rallying battle cry leading to victory and an homage to a lost art form.

Going back to what we said earlier, if we're not 100% convinced in a territory that the local distributor can execute an A+ plan, we would come to you first in every instance. No matter who distributes in a territory, TWC is going to be involved on the ground with the nuts and bolts of 70MM print / lab, projectors, qualified projectionists, technicians to keep the projectors running, etc. during the 70MM run in all the 70MM venues worldwide in order to insure as near a flawless 70MM exhibition experience as possible for the general public. What was convincing in TWC's presentation is how much boots-on-the-ground research they've already done, the people and companies they've already contacted, to pull this off.

It also boils down to the fact that Harvey really wants to do the whole thing, coordinate everything worldwide to win Quentin the directing and picture Oscar he hasn't yet received, and if ever there was a picture and a time where it could work to let TWC handle a Quentin movie worldwide, it's this picture at this time. Harvey has put his company and his money and himself personally on the line in an all-in fashion, and he and his team have done the down-and-dirty homework to convince us that this is the way to go on this particular movie.

All that being said, we want to have our cake and eat it too and keep the great relationship we have with you guys strong and do the next big one together like DJANGO, and in the meantime feel like we can come to you on a distribution basis if we don't feel we've got what we need in a particular territory.

Best,

Mike

On Jul 12, 2014, at 9:12 AM, "Blake, Jeff" wrote:

Attached is an email chain that indicates the enormity of the task to secure physical print stock around the world . It was going to be a worldwide effort and a race against the clock . Do you really think individual territories are going to do this ?

Mike Simpson | WME

_____

To: Blake, Jeff
Sent: Sat Jul 12 08:39:02 2014
Subject: Fwd: Just heard the news

FYI

Steven

Begin forwarded message:

Date: July 12, 2014 at 8:03:02 AM PDT
    To: "Sherr, Scott"

Cc: "Jones, Mike" , "Bruer, Rory"

We didn't get the film. No need to proceed.

Steven

• On Jul 12, 2014, at 8:02 AM, "Sherr, Scott" wrote:

Mike-

Let's sit down first thing Monday morning and lay it all out:

Stock needs

Exhibitors will need to have projectors

Lab facilities that will likely still be printing

One thing that we do need to know is a rough number of prints Jeff or Tarantino has in mind being the minimum acceptable prints.

Maybe just respond to Jeff that we will pull together a summary and recommendation on Monday/Tues.

Scott

• On Jul 12, 2014, at 2:36 AM, "Jones, Mike" wrote:

How do you want to respond to Jeff?

I have the costs for making 35mm and 70mm prints however I'm going to need a list of territories in order to calculate the cost to make the elements for striking prints of different languages.

There's a good chance Kodak will not be making stock by the time this show is released so a pre-buy would be necessary to guarantee the capability of making prints. With Fotokem being the only lab still making 70mm prints there exists a small risk they could cease operations however I wouldn't expect that to happen as film processing is a small portion of their business.

I started having conversations with some vendors who have 70mm rental kits and can supply ballpark numbers now with more precise quotes expected early in the week. If we end up also needing 35mm kits, expect that pricing to be similar just more availability and less freight expense. Rental pricing is cost of freight, engineering hours to install, travel expense for engineer, hours billed by theatre projectionist to assist with install plus weekly rental. Would you want to model out based upon something like a 6 week run?

The conversations I had on Friday were with US rental companies who ship worldwide. I'll have Steve start researching on Monday availability in Europe.

BTW in speaking with these vendors it sounded like TWC is already making inquiries also. There isn't much of a supply of 70mm projectors so if we are looking to equip more than a few theatres then it will take multiple rental companies and we should look to make those reservations as early as possible. There is also a scarcity of individuals who are competent at installing, mounting and projecting 70mm. Some training of theatre personnel will be required to properly thread up the projector between shows.

----- Original Message -----

To: Sherr, Scott; Jones, Mike

Cc: Bruer, Rory; ODell, Steven

Sent: Fri Jul 11 23:43:02 2014

Subject: Fw: Just heard the news

Also a guess as to the range of w/w physical print cost if you can .

To: Sherr, Scott; Jones, Mike

Cc: Bruer, Rory; ODell, Steven

Sent: Fri Jul 11 23:39:19 2014

Subject: Fw: Just heard the news

With the scarcity of 35mm film stock ( much less 70mm) it seems impossible to me that local distributors can on an individual basis be able to have access to it at the end of 2015 . I was prepared once we won the picture to hear your recommendation as to how we would buy in quantity now , and hold it for release . Can you briefly outline the situation and these individual territories ability to deliver ?

To: Blake, Jeff

Cc: Pascal, Amy

Sent: Fri Jul 11 23:24:23 2014

JEFF - Each prospective local territory distributor will have to pitch to Quentin and guarantee MG, P&A, specific 70MM theaters and 70MM proficient projectionists, specific numbers of 35MM screens, and back it up with sufficient guarantees and collateral. If we don't think the pitch and backup are A+, next stop in each such territory would be to offer it to you on a distribution deal basis. Going in we'd offer you Scandinavia, where you super killed on DJANGO, and if you take it, when we announce the picture, we'd go heavy on the 70MM / curated local marketing plan angle, stating local distributors in certain territories and Sony elsewhere.

As I told Amy, after you and I spoke and I went into TWC's presentation, Harvey guaranteed a minimum $45M net contribution from international, and if Sony would like to better this we could potentially open up the dialog.

The reason behind this choice of local distributors in certain markets is that Quentin sees EIGHT as a chamber piece kind of smaller film - a RESERVOIR DOGS in the west - with an ensemble cast and no major star, centered around a "love of film" 70MM rollout requiring a lot of tailored local market finesse (in part spurred on by substantial MGs and release commitments).

If Quentin was making a big film with a major star - which he will do in the future - we would want a major to handle international and we'd come straight to you because you killed on DJANGO.

Although this is not the outcome you wanted or I expected when we left the Sony lot after your dynamite presentation today, we would like to keep the great relationship we have with Sony and your team going until the next big one comes along, and we felt that what's outlined above could be a good way to do this.

Looking forward to your and Amy's thoughts.

Best,

Mike

"JEFF - Each prospective local territory distributor will have to pitch to Quentin and guarantee MG, P&A, specific 70MM theaters and 70MM proficient projectionists, specific numbers of 35MM screens, and back it up with sufficient guarantees and collateral. If we don't think the pitch and backup are A+,"

I can't even imagine being in a position to make such demands.

R,

They are completely useless on this file. Unless of course you need someone to ride around on a horse, wearing a red tunic, while music plays.

R,

Don't forget:

- Torture suspected commies

- Shooting union workers on strike

As the RCMP have historically been the strongarm of "the man" I'm surprised they aren't taking more interest in copyright abuses. If there was a major studio or two in Canada I bet they'd change their tune. Or Rogers starts bitching to the Feds.

I love your idea regarding VHS tapes. There's plenty of cheap working second hand VCR's out there. Just send out a notice that as of this date if you want to review films for festivals, awards or media you must watch those films on VHS cassette.

The current boost in vinyl sales can't be good for music piracy either. I know there are ways to record an album to digital but for most people the quality of the table and/or the finished file is not worth the effort.

In an ironic twist, this movie has become a lightening rod for free speech, & SONY has disabled the comments on the trailer on YouTube.

Evidently free speech only goes so far, even in the USA. :rolleyes:

R,