DP reel

hey francisco

i liked your pictures in the reel.i think some of the shots are to long and some yüo maybe should not put in it.The pictures of the first band are somehow repeating ,maybe you should make it a bit shorter. i liked the last b+w musikvideo

and also some shots of the shoot with this guy in the middle of the reel. there´s some material of girls running through some hallways.make it shorter!

and: are you a steadicam-operator ? most of the shots seem to be steadicam,so you should watch out if this is supposed to be a steadicam-showreel or a camera showreel.(some good steadicam shot there)

i really liked the shot where this guy climbes out of a hole in the desert.the wide shot is reallly good.really nice.

there´s another close-up shot of that guys eyes that i did not like.too much blue

in the lith.makes him look sick somehow.

so, this was just my personal opinion.i´m not perfect and taste is allwaysdifferent.

all over all i liked the reel ( and i really like b+w ) but i would try to use only the very best shots of every shoot.

all the best to you and good luck with pitching ;)

cheers

sebastian matthias

Thanks for your input Sebastian. Some good points there.

You are right about the steadicam observation, maybe I'll spread it around and cut it a bit more.

I'm not a steadicam operator but have used the same guy for a lot of the stuff.

Thanks again,

Francisco

• 5 weeks later...

Francisco,

Firstly, pare it down a bit. Please, make a point of getting a cut of your best shots and never let it become repetative as some of the sequences are in this reel.

Many of your shots were very shakey, be wary of making it intolerable unless it is purposeful.

The black & white scenes were nice though, well lit and fairly composed.

One shot I did like: The wide shot in the desert, where young man in the lower-right pops out of the shutters.

Based on this specific presentation, I would not be inclined to ask or hire you as a DP. I felt the home video-esque ocean and hitchiking scenes were not interesting to look at, and overall your reel lacks many awe-inspiring shots and did not stir any emotions inside of me.

At the same time, I am always impressed by anyone who has a demo reel, honestly. Congratulations and all my best on getting future work.

Jeremy

Wow.

My apologies, I just read the previous post by Sebastian and realized I pretty much pointed out and suggested the same things.

I think there is a reason for that, as we both had the same complaints.

As for the second post, I merely wanted to engender a mention of that as you will surely come to that same conclusion.

Jeremy

Guest nao_yoshino

Francisco,

WOW! Nice reel! Really enjoied watching that. Have you considered documenting some of the technical specifications of the shots in your reel? I would love to read. Can I ask, the B/W segment in the diner - is that B/W stock or did you shoot color and convert to B/W in post?

Did you operate stedicam?

Best,

Nao

Hi

Nice footage. If you shot all the shots you have a very good natural eye for composition and everything seems techniacally good. ( as much as we can tell on the web!). You can work for me any time...if you're ever in the UK!

You have the advantage of great natural lighting in the USA of course.

Keep going mate , you're good.

Would appreciate some technical info on your footage.

Best of luck

Rob

Excellent work on the Reel,

I think you should grab your best 2 minutes worth of footage and make it short and sweet. There is some great material there but also some shots that didnt interest me.

Overal, great work, hope to see more.

James.

• Premium Member

I love your b/w work, especially with the magician, very creepy and effective.

I also responded to the music video where the guys are wearing something over thier eyes. I think you have a good eye for composition. I would definately hire you for a documentary or music video. I think your style leans toward Michel Gondry a bit where things are not always as they seem, a bit dream like.

Keep it up, I'd like to see what you could do with a budget.

Best,

Thank you all for your replies.

Please keep them coming.

Sounds like I should definitely make some changes, it is easy to get a bit overindulgent with your own images. Maybe I should get a good editor to work on it.

NAO-

The diner footage is all Plus-X B&W stock shot with anamorphic lenses.

Let me know what other spec questions you got.

I didn't operate the steadycam shots but I can give you the operator's name if you like.

Thank you all for the positive comments.

Francisco

• 2 weeks later...

Hello There ! FB.

I think everyone has made alot of good points. I think what I am getting is that the music video stuff plus the steadycam paints you in another picture. Your compositions are good and fresh.Maybe there are too many quick cuts.I think people enjoy great slightly longer takes. Theres a Greek, Angeolopolis or something similar who pride them selves on great long takes. I think you could handle just about anything. I think I would cut the music into a different reel for Music Mavens.

Edited by Algis Kemezys

Thanks Algis,

I hear what you are saying.

It might be a bit too busy. I'm considering having 2 separate reels, one for music videos, etc and the other for narrative stuff.

Thanks for your input.

francisco