C Mount Anamorphic Options

John Clere

So I'm pretty new to 16mm stuff, I've gradually been making the switch from digital. It's been pretty fun. Right now I'm using a Bolex as my A-Cam and two old Keystones as my crash cams. Yeah, I'm working on filling the gap between those two, but that's not the point.

One thing that I've given up since making the switch was my anamorphic lenses. I love them to pieces, they're just awesome. However, I've had trouble finding a conclusive solution for a c mount anamorphic lens. It's kind of frustrating, and I was wondering what my options realistically are.

I've heard several different ideas on this forum, one of which is using projector lenses. I've never really had to do that, so would that be a good option? I don't know that I've encountered much projection glass well-suited for shooting, but maybe I just haven't seen enough.

I would really like to stay away from anamorphic adapters. I guess if that's the best option then I can use them, but I've always stuck to the real thing.

Last thing, cost is a big factor here. I'm a big fan of quality glass, but I don't use these cameras enough to drop a lot of money on one lens. So if that means I should just get a lens adapter and use some cheap anamorphic glass for a different mount, I can do that. I just want to know what my options are for an adapter-less setup, if that's even possible. Thanks much!

One of these might be your best bet. I have never seen one in person but they are small and single focus. They appear to be going for about $1000 on ebay right now. I don't think I have ever seen a native c-mount anamorphic.

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?2663-For-Sale-quot-Baby-Iscorama-quot-Iscomorphot-8-1-5x-anamorphic-lens!-Redstan-Clamp

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know there are no C mount anamorphic solutions readily available out of the box. There exists anamorphic adapters, like the Iscorama David pointed out, that you fit to your taking lens with a clamp that lets you focus with the adapter while the taking lens is set to infinity. A similar but much cheaper solution popped up recently: https://www.facebook.com/774607322559772/photos/pcb.865370990150071/865370676816769/?type=1&theater It works like the Iscorama, but it isn't actually an anamorphic lens by itself. It slides over an actual anamorphic letting you rack focus, while the other two lenses are set to infinity.

Edited by Henrik Efskin_57493

Those do seem like a nice option but it is very large even more so after to add it to the end of a projection anamorphic. Those golden colored anamorphic lenses like the one shown in the link are about the size of a soda can... In reality you would only be saving a few hundred and it would be much larger the one I mentioned above.

Not familiar with this one at all but I cannot remember the last time a I saw a 8mm anamorphic adapter, looks like it comes with more than just the lens but have a look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hiloscope-Baby-Anamorphic-Lens-BOLEX-KERN-8mm-Pentax-Q-Cinemascope-Kinoscope-/221632747214?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item339a5756ce

• Premium Member

I've heard several different ideas on this forum, one of which is using projector lenses. I've never really had to do that, so would that be a good option? I don't know that I've encountered much projection glass well-suited for shooting, but maybe I just haven't seen enough.

I would really like to stay away from anamorphic adapters. I guess if that's the best option then I can use them, but I've always stuck to the real thing.

Last thing, cost is a big factor here. I'm a big fan of quality glass, but I don't use these cameras enough to drop a lot of money on one lens. So if that means I should just get a lens adapter and use some cheap anamorphic glass for a different mount, I can do that. I just want to know what my options are for an adapter-less setup, if that's even possible. Thanks much!

Projector lenses may be usable if you don't have to do focus pulls, they don't usually allow that (you'd need to separately operate the focus rings of both the take-up lens and the anamorphic adapter which of course has different scale)

Some adapters, for example those made for DV cameras may be usable. generally those seem to do quite a lot CA but may allow limited focus pulls without building complicated external focus mechanics.

One big problem with projector attachments is that they usually don't allow close focusing, and it is hugely expensive to buy very large diameter diopters if you try to use for example those Lomo 80-140 adapters off of eBay.

IF you'd have more budget you could buy a PL mount to C-mount adapter from for example Visual Products and use it with (bought or rented) Lomo or (most likely rented) Hawk anamorphics for example

• 10 months later...

Projector lenses may be usable if you don't have to do focus pulls, they don't usually allow that (you'd need to separately operate the focus rings of both the take-up lens and the anamorphic adapter which of course has different scale)

Some adapters, for example those made for DV cameras may be usable. generally those seem to do quite a lot CA but may allow limited focus pulls without building complicated external focus mechanics.

One big problem with projector attachments is that they usually don't allow close focusing, and it is hugely expensive to buy very large diameter diopters if you try to use for example those Lomo 80-140 adapters off of eBay.

IF you'd have more budget you could buy a PL mount to C-mount adapter from for example Visual Products and use it with (bought or rented) Lomo or (most likely rented) Hawk anamorphics for example

Check here at: www.rapidotechnology.com, I do have some C-mount solutions, for example, adapter for the Kinoscope anamorphic lens, and adapter for Yashica anamorphic lens. Those anamorphic lenses are developed for 8mm camera & projector, you can used the lens on both camera and projector. I recent found a CANON C-8 scope lens, seems it was also developed for 8mm camera/projection market. :-)