Better sounding clap?

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a new acrylic slate and also a set of resin sticks from panavision.

The sticks sound amazing and sharp when independent.

But it seems that when I mounted the sticks to the slate, using super glue, the clap has now deteriorated.

It now sounds cheap and plastic, almost maybe a vibration issue?

Any loaders have any insight into this? Any fixes or solutions?

Cheers!

A.

Editors want a clearly audible clap with a sharp attack. That's all. They also want clearly audible scene and take numbers to be called, but that happens very rarely these days, as usually the cast is still chatting and the Director still giving notes when the 1st AD calls 'Roll Sound'...

I wish more people had the attitude of taking pride in all aspects of their work. I agree with a good bead of epoxy instead of superglue. I also can't help but think the acrylic face is acting like a dampener for the sticks than an amplifier (even though my acrylic slate is super loud). Maybe a slate made out thin hardwood could work for you better?

Edited by Dylan Sunshine Saliba
  • Upvote 1

Nice! I LOVE your labels! But I think there is a crap ton of stuff on there. I noticed on mine that when I mounted a grey card on the back it got heavy and softer sounding, so I just took it off to solve that issue. Maybe the black strip (of gaff tape?) up top near the connection on the front.

Thanks for the tip Dylan. But alas, after stripping it down, velcro and all. The problem still exists.... Truly is an enigma! Might add something to the sticks, to make it sound better.

You have a good point Stuart. But I always front light my board with my magllite in dark/back-lit environments, it's been working grand so far! Knock wood.

On an objective level, there are two things.

One is the pactical usefulnsess (more or less usefull) of the sound. Those syncing up can answer that one. Maybe it doesn't matter much, but that's up to them to tell us.

The second thing is to do with the mythology of the slate and the sound. Maybe we need it to sound a certain way. That is the proper way. It wouldn't be the only functional principal of that mythic kind existant on a set. For the editor syncing up, perhaps meaningless. For the loader looking for work, perhaps very meaningfull.

I don't know digital. I remember syncing 16mm sepmag. The exact sound of the slate would not make much difference, but it needs to be consistent, and be clearly different running forwards vs backwards.

• Premium Member

Does the slate really need glue to attach to the clapper? In my experience, they usually stay in with tension and nothing else. I'm sure your slate sounds fine. You rarely need to clap it that loud anyway, a nice little 'snick' is all that is required.

Also, why do you guys in the UK have your sticks on backwards? First you drive on the wrong side of the road, now this! :)

Admittedly, it been a long time since I clapped the sticks, but when I did it for a living, I used to switch the sticks around depending on which side of camera I was slating from, or whether I was using one hand or two. I see a lot of ACs these days slating one handed, and throwing the slate in there as if they really can't be bothered with the whole thing. I was always taught to use both hands unless I needed to hold flashlight with the other hand.

If you didn't use too much superglue it will probably snap off alright. Just hold it over the edge of a table, hold the slate down with a ruler and give it a good whack.

Incidentally, the chevrons are easier to see if they're opposed, like a V shape. Too late now, but next time, perhaps if you break it after following my advice, haha.

https://www.google.com/search?q=slate&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=MD6EVLfVE4bB7AaKtIC4DA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1600&bih=774#tbm=isch&q=movie+slate&revid=25269254