First time I shot on film, Critiques?

• Premium Member

Not bad, but I felt you under-utilized the medium. What I mean by that is that it had a very "clean" look...much like digital. I want to see some grain. Also, what was your reasoning for shooting 500T rated at 250? Why not just use 5213 and push it a stop if needed? I recently shot 7219 rated at 2K and it still looks really nice.

You did have nice saturation in the shots of the couch and I thought the white of the house and the blue of the sky was an absolutely beautiful exterior. That's one for a reel.

When i was trying to figure out the look of the piece, I had wanted a very low contrast look to go along with the melancholy song. i decided 500 T would work to well to compensate for the viewfinder of the bolex as well as to still have enough exposure to pull. I guess I didn't realize just how clean the pull process would make it.

Yeah, I'm not all that happy with the exteriors either. I can tell they're flat, but would you be able to pin point the reason they are? Is it a mix of color palette, lighting as well as the composition? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the feedback!

Edited by Joshua Ian Parisi

..... i decided 500 T would work to well to compensate for the viewfinder of the bolex.....

Can you just make clear what you mean by that?

I thought the clip was a bit unexpressive. A bit literal. Compared to the song, which was quite raw and direct emotionally. So I wondered if the concept development was weak. For a given exercise like this, you are the concept creator, effectively the director? So concept, conceive, develop, create, intensively, before you shoot. Unless the piece requires a careless aproach.

• Premium Member

Can you just make clear what you mean by that?

Yup...I was wondering the same thing. Were you thinking you needed faster film because of the beam-splitter in the Bolex?

Like I said, flat or not. I liked the exteriors. Very nice color palette. I just think pulling the film made the project visually uninteresting. If you wanted a visually bleak mood, I would have done that through lighting rather than relying only on a processing technique which affects the entire film. Lighting & filtration are things you can adjust & tweak by the shot. I would focus on that for your next project. I pushed the film on my most recent short, but that was only one element of the visual look. Careful ighting and lens choice are probably the two most important things to consider when you are developing the visual tone of the film.

Yeah, I'm not all that happy with the exteriors either. I can tell they're flat, but would you be able to pin point the reason they are? Is it a mix of color palette, lighting as well as the composition? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the feedback!

I've no experience of telecine but I assume it's the transfer. I can't tell you what to do about it.

You might expect it of the overcast scenes but even the sunny scenes are flat. A projected print just wouldn't look like that. A saturation and clarity fix in Lightroom improves it.

• Premium Member

Bear in mind that you were shooting under an overcast sky for most of your shots. That combined with the pull-processing and the telecine most likely did it.

Edited by Bill DiPietra

• Premium Member

The exteriors were terribly flat.

So I watched this the first few times on my iPhone and the exteriors didn't look half bad. But once I watched it on my PC, I see what Mark meant. The exteriors are very washed out and appear rather soft. Do you remember what your aperture setting was for those shots?

Your nicest shot is when the guy is being wheeled down the corridor. Nice composition, contrast & lighting.