Photographing Television screen

Jeffrey Wedding

Hi All,

Thanks in advance to anyone that may be able to help me out here. I will be shooting a feature next month with my Aaton LTR and may have a television playing in a shot. The shutter in the LTR is fixed, however, I do have a speed controller (Media Logic, I believe). I was wondering how I might be able to avoid any flickering, pulsing, or rolling in the image. I'm not sure if the speed controller gadget will help me out here or not. I'm in the US at 60HZ. Any solutions are very much appreciated.

All the best,

Jeff

• Premium Member

In 60Hz land and shooting 24fps, you would want to set your shutter speed to 1/60 or if possible 1/59.94, either by changing the shutter angle to 144 degrees or by changing your frame rate to 29.97 with a 180 degree shutter.

Is the TV a CRT or an LCD? With a CRT, you will still have the scan line across the screen, but by matching the shutter speed to the Hz rate the line will not scroll vertically across the screen. To move the scan line to the top or bottom of the screen, you need to use a camera that has a phase feature. This basically incrementally adjusts the frame rate while the camera is running, so that the scan line will move to where you want it. Pretty sure the Aaton XTR Prod has this feature, but don't know about your LTR.

Shooting an LCD should be easier since you won't see any scan lines. But you should check the Hz rate in the monitor settings and shoot a test if possible. If you want to shoot a CRT but don't have a camera with the phase feature, you could gut the CRT housing and put an LCD inside.