White Cyc Lighting

hey, can get some opinions regarding my lighting diagram. its a simple corporate gig. i want to shoot around f4-f5 at iso400. just wondering if you think this will be enough light to do that?

also, i've done a lot of shooting with arri tungsten fresnels and the Blackmagic Production 4k Camera [which ill be using for this shoot also] and seem to be getting what i think is some ir pollution. im thinking about picking up this hoya ir cut with some step rings. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mm_UV_and.html

any critiques/suggestions regarding lighting or filtration are much appreciated.

post-65373-0-23964100-1419114749_thumb.jpg

whats your frame like (CUs or wider)?

Im not sure about the lighting of the backround ....seems to me studios usualy of cyc lights which are usually just floods pointed at the backdrop to give an even exposure....atleast thats been my experience the one time i did something like that. if you use the space lights youll probably want to have flags on the backside to cut that light off your talent.

for the talent I think your fine this is pretty basic stuff. with a 5k you through diff you should have enough light for 4 at iso 400 I think.....you should check out the arri photometric calculator and you can put in your distance of the light to talent and it will tell you the stop your at....youll just need to calculate for light loss from the diffusion you are adding.

if its possible I would use a 10K and I would book light the talent from a bit more sidy of angle and maybe use a 12x instead of an 8x but that might be a budget thing for you? If you do a book light you can get away with prob 1/4 grid....at the very least Id put a 4x4 frame of light diffusion before the 8x frame also in that case you can prob get away with half grid. Double diffusion or booklighting always seems to give a more pleasing light to me then going through on layer of heavy diff

depending on how wide your shots are your fill might need to be larger as well and that will also probably want to come at a more sidey angle to fill the side of their face not getting hit by your 5k.

don't know much about the BMPC and IR though.

Edited by Albion Hockney

Oh also noticed your studio has a cyc wall next to your talent too.....are you shooting toward that wall at all too or is it all straight on.

with that white wall there you might not even need a fill light depending on how close your talent is to it .....or you might want to make sure they have a black out curtain for it if you want to control the fill light and make sure there is not too much spill.

the client wants some head to toe shots so ill be pretty wide at times.

in regards to the space lights, i was thinking about placing the talent close enough to them so that i could get some hair/backlight and maybe adding a kicker if i feel like i need it. although the more i think about it, i may just pull the subject off the space lights as far as possible to have more control. the cyc camera left will help on the fill side and make it so that i dont need too much power to fill things in.

from my experience with a white limbo BG you don't really want much of an edge or light from behind on them unless you are underexposing the white bg and doing it as grey ....having them go dark on the back side helps with seperation if anything.

if you are doing head to toe I would go with a 12x and a 10k if you can do it for sure it will look nicer....even if you don't book light

You should really run your setup through the photometric calculator. and factor in the diffusion you want to use full grid cuts about 2 stops of light.

The thing with frame is you need to back the light up to a distance that it can fill the whole frame evenly if you want to get the softest effect possible.... and you probably don't have enough light to back up a 5k to fill a 12x through full grid and still get the stop your looking for.....best test it out on the calc.

I would consider going through a 4x4 of 250 and then going through the 8x frame with light grid .....its probably about the same stop loss but the 250 will spread the light more evenly over the frame and you can prob have the 5k a bit closer.

Edited by Albion Hockney