'Seraphim' a Super 16mm short about the end of the world.

Kip Kubin

Thought I'd post a short film I finished a short while back.

I wanted to text a batch of 64D I had in the fridge while working with a new DP and lab. (Video and Film Solutions, Rockville, MD). Rather than film a roll,of my hometown I adapted a dream my friend had into a quick micro short film about the end of the world.

Really pleased with the outcome and don't know why more shorts aren't filed inSuper 16.

Tech info:

Aaton XTR

ZEISS Super Speed MKI

FUJI 64D

Lab and transfer:

Video and a Film Solutions

Thank you for watching

post-12356-0-51371900-1419130029_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

It looks absolutely great!

In terms of time, I think that a lot of directors want to show to the world that they can make long features so they keep writing long short - films whereas having a 3 or 5 minutes limit is more challenging as you have to be able to tell a story narratively and visually within that time.

And shooting on film is fantastic! I keep telling my friends that we have to shoot more things on super16 or 35mm 2 perf but they are all hooked on digital now ha!

I have always wanted to shoot something on 16mm anamorphic!

Have a great day.

Best.

It looks absolutely great!

In terms of time, I think that a lot of directors want to show to the world that they can make long features so they keep writing long short - films whereas having a 3 or 5 minutes limit is more challenging as you have to be able to tell a story narratively and visually within that time.

And shooting on film is fantastic! I keep telling my friends that we have to shoot more things on super16 or 35mm 2 perf but they are all hooked on digital now ha!

I have always wanted to shoot something on 16mm anamorphic!

Thanks, I think there's a temptation to shoot digital out of fear more than money. I learned that preperation and rehearsal are key. That seems obvious but the digital shorts I've worked on or filmed BTS on tend to be lazy and shoot several versions of the same thing out of fear...not the best way to approach the craft of filmmaking. I speaking more about learning to be a better filmmaker not a. Seasoned vet who's trying something new.

Thanks for watching

Have a great day.

Best.

• Premium Member

You are absolutely right, preparation and rehearsal are keys, even on digital for me as I come from a "film" background and I am a very organized person.

If you come to Ireland at any stage, let me know and we can shoot something together! :)

Have a good day!

• Premium Member

You are absolutely right, preparation and rehearsal are keys, even on digital for me as I come from a "film" background and I am a very organized person.

If you come to Ireland at any stage, let me know and we can shoot something together! :)

Have a good day!

Or both of you could come to New York City and we could all shoot something! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Ha ha.

Yep - it got me - I jumped out of my skin. And if I hadn't been looking after my health a bit better recently, I'm sure I too would be flat on my back right now.

And yeah - film looks so damned good - the incredible thing is that it does so even when looking at it through a digital channel (vimeo). Which is a remarkable thing about film, that it not only works within the digital domain (of course it would), but that it is more than competitive there as well - on digital's home turf.

C