Schneider FF lenses for cinema screen

ericyeong

Hi, has anyone here shot a movie project with the schneider FF primes set before? Does the lens perform well and still hold up the details for cinema big screen? How does it compared to Zeiss CP2 and Canon Cinema primes? I have a movie project coming in next year, thought it might be my lens choice shooting with 6k format on Epic Dragon sensor... Regards, Eric.

• 4 weeks later...

I recall there are two variations of schneider FF primes in cine mount. The older generation has a rotating helicoid barrel that makes the follow focus cogs walk away from you while focusing. Annoying! And risks you miss a critical focus pull. The newer generation does not suffer from that.

Dave, you are thinking of the Schneider Xenars. They came in three different updates, the mk2 had the rotating barrels and the mk3 fixed all that. The FF Xenons are newer cheaper lenses that cover still 35mm full-frame and come in different mounts.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/xenonff-prime/

Eric, here is a video comparing the lenses you asked about.

• Premium Member

I own a set of Schneider - Kreiznach Cine Xenon (the vintage ones) and they are marvelous!

Lovely old lenses which render the colors very well and give a dreamy look aswell!

I imagine the newest versions will be even better!

Best.