The Imitation Game

• Premium Member

I enjoyed the film very much and thought the shooting worked well for the piece. I was dismayed in the digital projection at a local cineplex here in L.A. It had aliasing issues, so every time there was a straight line in the film, it would be jagged. :(

• Premium Member

I enjoyed the film very much and thought the shooting worked well for the piece. I was dismayed in the digital projection at a local cineplex here in L.A. It had aliasing issues, so every time there was a straight line in the film, it would be jagged. :(

That's a shame. I saw it digitally projected as well and I was impressed at the fact that I was still able to see some grain. Really nicely done on the production and exhibition ends.

• Premium Member

Yea, the grain structure was for sure there, I was happy it originated on film, you could tell. I'm so sick and tired of filmmakers who don't notice the horrible motion blur and clipping whites on digital cinema cameras. Just watched Birdman and the nighttime stuff on the roof of the theater was horrible looking. Looked like a highdef handycam and I was shocked to find out it was shot with the Alexa. I thought they had fixed the motion blur issues, but apparently not. :(

• Premium Member

The motion blur is the same as with film if you shoot at 24 fps with a 1/48th shutter -- the difference is that for low-light scenes, it is not uncommon to use longer shutter times on digital cameras, which you cannot do with a film camera without dropping the frame rate.

• Premium Member

The motion blur is the same as with film if you shoot at 24 fps with a 1/48th shutter -- the difference is that for low-light scenes, it is not uncommon to use longer shutter times on digital cameras, which you cannot do with a film camera without dropping the frame rate.

I've just never seen that before on film. Besides, the dynamic range of film would negate the white clipping you see on digital shots at night. So even if the motion looked similar, it wouldn't throw the audience for a loop. Where on the digital shots which have white clipping and motion blur, it really pulls the audience away from the film due to the change in look. Just watch the last few Micheal Mann films. I can't watch his movies anymore, they look like a television show shot in the 90's @ 29.97 frame rate. If you watch some of Roger Deakin's films with the Alexa, you'll never see the problem. Even in the worst/darkest stuff like the night stuff at the end of Skyfall, it was still very filmic. Forget about guys like Peter Jackson and his 48fps playback of the Hobbit! EWWW!!!! :(