"Hindsight" on VH1 tonight

• Premium Member

I shot a pilot for a VH1 series called "Hindsight" in Atlanta a year ago, which airs tonight. The series was shot by Mark Doering-Powell, who probably reshot about 1/4 of the pilot once they went into production due to the typical changes they make.

Alexa with Angenieux zooms. It takes place in the present and in the past - for the past scenes, I used a 1/4 Black ProMist for a lot of it.

• Premium Member

So I stopped it after about 20 minutes when I realized this is something my wife would like. And since we don't have a single show in common, I figured this could be a good one we can enjoy together. :)

What I saw so far looked great. I really like the color contrast of some of the scenes. Like the part where the two friends are puking in an alley in a flash back. Great work as usual.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot a pilot for a VH1 series called "Hindsight" in Atlanta a year ago, which airs tonight. The series was shot by Mark Doering-Powell, who probably reshot about 1/4 of the pilot once they went into production due to the typical changes they make.

Alexa with Angenieux zooms. It takes place in the present and in the past - for the past scenes, I used a 1/4 Black ProMist for a lot of it.

I just saw a re-run of the show, and I really like the use of the Black ProMist for the past scenes.

Did you find you needed to vary the intensity of the Black ProMist from WS to CU? Or did you use 1/4 the whole time?

• Premium Member

I think I used a 1/4 Black ProMist for all of the past, wide shots included, but in my case, we were in small locations so there weren't a lot of wide shots, and any NYC establishing shots were done later by Michael Doering-Powell when it went to series and I don't know what he did. I did shoot one scene between the daughter (wrapped in a towel) and the mother while sitting on a bed in daytime with a homemade net filter I have instead of the Black ProMist, mainly because that net filter is so flattering to skin. Plus in the scene she gives her a jeweled necklace and I knew that the net filter would give me some nice kicks off of the jewelry.