Lovely, lovely winter

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

As I think I may have made clear before, I don't happen to enjoy this spot on the globe very much.

I spent much of Friday trying to shoot exteriors, in the UK, in January. I mean, seriously: what is one supposed to do with greyish brown trees above greyish brown mud under a greyish brown sky? Fourteen stop cameras, we have these days, to shoot scenes that have about three stops of actual range in them!

Aaargh!

Phil

• Premium Member

Yeah, I know it can get a bit grey here in Winter but the sunny days are brilliant for shooting, I've been testing a new S16 camera and shot some exteriors on a bright sunny day in a park here in London and the resutling images just zinged and that wasn't due to any expertise on my part just the crisp bright sunshine.

• Premium Member

Yeah, I know it can get a bit grey here in Winter but the sunny days are brilliant for shooting, I've been testing a new S16 camera and shot some exteriors on a bright sunny day in a park here in London and the resutling images just zinged and that wasn't due to any expertise on my part just the crisp bright sunshine.

Yup...when I was in Leeds in September of 2013, I had absolutely gorgeous weather. When it's nice there, it's really nice.

• Premium Member

You could do worse than borrow a leaf from Robbie Burns' book, who took solace in what he saw as nature's bleak reflections of his own melancholia:

The sweeping blast, the sky o'ercast,
The joyless winter day
Let others fear, to me more dear
Than all the pride of May:
The tempest's howl, it soothes my soul,
My griefs it seems to join;
The leafless trees my fancy please,
Their fate resembles mine!

Not particularly helpful I know, but about all I can muster from the confines of my banana lounge down here in the sun-drenched Antipodes. ;)