Question about Adam Arkapaw lighting

Hi!

I guess this is discussed in lengths before but I couldn't find anything on it. I'm referring to the long take in True Detective where they break into the "stash house". What types of practicals did they use to get that sort for dirty greenish/cold look?

I guess they pushed it even further in the DI, with a little desaturation. But what did he do here?

Here is a link to the scene:

The lighting I'm referring to starts at around 1:35 minutes.

There is a breakdown of the scene somewhere online but from what I can recall and gather from the clip:

- This was shot on an Alexa unlike the rest of the show which was 35mm, most likely because of the length of the shot, the distance traveled and the space that needed to be lit.

- For the cyan/green cast inside the stash house I'd guess it's mostly industrial fluorescents concealed behind furniture both from high and low angles. It could also be gelled Kino bulbs.

- The mercury vapor and sodium vapor lights lighting the exterior are probably a combination of gelled tungsten and HMI pars for hard shadows in unison with practical street lamps.

- There are pools of light in the exterior portion, maybe coming from smaller units.

I don't know about the DI process, but it's likely there's been tweaking for the Alexa footage to match the 35mm material.

• Upvote 1

There is a breakdown of the scene somewhere online but from what I can recall and gather from the clip:

- This was shot on an Alexa unlike the rest of the show which was 35mm, most likely because of the length of the shot, the distance traveled and the space that needed to be lit.

- For the cyan/green cast inside the stash house I'd guess it's mostly industrial fluorescents concealed behind furniture both from high and low angles. It could also be gelled Kino bulbs.

- The mercury vapor and sodium vapor lights lighting the exterior are probably a combination of gelled tungsten and HMI pars for hard shadows in unison with practical street lamps.

- There are pools of light in the exterior portion, maybe coming from smaller units.

I don't know about the DI process, but it's likely there's been tweaking for the Alexa footage to match the 35mm material.

Okay, I will look that up! Thanks. I wonder how they sort of "unified" all those different sources into the look which in my eye is very in the right limits, but not. The lighting is rough but still very consistence and unified. The look of it is so well (un)balanced.