Youtube, the great Satan and whore of the earth.

Yesterday Yanis Varoufakis was made Greek finance minister and I could go to YouTube and see and hear a brilliant speech of his from May 2013. Cultural asset.

Wow that totally makes up for millions in lost revenue to the film industry due to piracy.

On another note, are you saying that a Greek finance minister had something useful to say? Isn't this the country that went bankrupt, had riots in the streets nightly, and needed billions of Euros from other countries to bail them out? That Greece?

Maybe his speech was brilliant as an example of how NOT to manage an economy.

R,

Children aren't doing the piracy.

Didn't expect to have to explain this but my point wasn't about who was doing the piracy but the fact that children should be allowed to use youtube too. If youtube is restricted to credit card users than children aren't going to be able to use it. As well as anyone else who doesn't have a credit card for that matter.

Forcing people to have a credit card to use large swathes of the internet is what I meant by being extreme and draconian but will possibly be the future anyway.

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

For the record, I think Youtube could resolve these problems without id'ing everyone, they just havn't been motivated to do so so far.

Vimeo doesn't seem to have the same level of problems with this sort of thing for instance and you don't need I.D. for that either.

There are a lot of issues with commercial companies like google knowing exactly who someone is and tracking everything they do online. You only have to look at Facebook to see that and google are very much heading in the same direction anyway. This is not a good thing.

Freya

Edited by Freya Black