euro 16mm purchase

cpatrick

i'm currently living in ireland and looking to spend about £4000 (5800euro or 7500usd) on a used 16mm camera kit. the chances of finding a decent used camera in ireland are slim so it looks like i'll be importing. the simplest option is obviously to import from the uk but i'd be willing to get it from anywhere that has a lower final cost. i assume that purchasing from north america would mean a bevy of import duties (does anyone have any experience with this?) and i'd like very much to not have to deal with us customs (but i would). furthermore (!) i'd like it to be quiet and ideally, but not necessarily, super16. if anyone can suggest a suitable dealer i can contact, or help in any way, i'd be very appreciative. thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Try aaton.co.uk. You can find an aaton 54 super 16 kit for 6000 pounds. I'm sure you can find it for less on other posts, but if you get it from ice films atleast you can be more confident of its quality. The 54 is a great camera anyhow 6k is not to bad for it.

Hi,

I live in the US but a few years back, I remember prices for 16mm cmeras in Australia being very very reasonable. The prices were much lower there than for something equivalent in the US. I bought an Eclair ACL II package in beautiful condition for about half the price I could have gotten it in the US. I don't know how things are now but you may want to look into it.

Jim

Guest Y.M.Poursohi

Try mandy.com and you will find cameras around 6-8k USD and they are Super16 cameras. It depends if you are looking for a package with a lens or not. A set of Zeiss primes could cost you at least $2700, or a S16 zoom lens you can find for under $3500. Note that these are street value/current market prices for the items. If a dealer advertises a camera for $8000 there is no reason that you should pay that, you go in with a check for $6500, and negotiate the price down. The cost of super16 gear has been coming down, and some people are getting rid of their older Super16 gear in exchange for more advanced ones or HD; thus there is room for discounts from dealers. If it is a private owner, have the camera checked out and tested before any purchase. Ebay is another place to look at, you have to be careful with what you see there, avoid sellers with no feedback or recently created accounts. But the good thing about Ebay is that you get a sense about how much people are willing to pay for a camera or a lens. Keep in mind that dealers and camera shops look at Ebay also and if they are not willing to bid/pay $3500 USD for a set of 4 Zeiss primes or $8000 for an LTR54 themselves, it probably means those items are worth less than that.

One last thing, try to make a purchase during a season that is not peak season for production, here in New York that would be the winter time, since more people have idle equipment sitting around not making money for them.

Good Luck

Yousef

• Premium Member

Hi,

I can vouch (I think - correct me if I'm wrong) for the stunning beauty of Mr. McGee's ACL; there's something about the viewfinder on those...

In other news: hey, Jim, long time no see. How's Hawaii?

Regards,

Phil

Edited by Phil Rhodes