Why is film so warm/how to change it?

Benjamin Lamb

It seems that the "standard" look of film is quite warm, even red/orange, particularly in lower-budget films/student films. Even when a student film shoots on the latest Kodak stock, this seems to be the case. Here's a rough example: http://vimeo.com/29698920

I could give other examples in other lighting situations, but that's what I've found for now.

I am wondering how and why major productions (i.e. Hollywood films) do not have this over warm look. I never see this overly red/orange look in a major film at a cinema. I am sure this can be changed with grading, but is that really what all of this major films are doing? Just consistently changing the redness in the DI? Or are they doing something else to modify this look? Thanks.

• Premium Member

It's just timing plus some of that footage was shot at sunset. There are plenty of warm-looking movies -- didn't you see "Mr. Turner"?

Kodak designs their film to reproduce accurate colors and if you shoot a grey scale under corrected light then it comes out grey. Film is not inherently warm.