Interesting News from UK Concerning Film Production

John Rizzo

For those of you who missed the news at the BSC show last week there was an "unofficial" announcement from Kodak UK about a new Production package that is now available. if you've got a project with a budget up to 10mil UK sterling you can now avail of Kodaks Independent Prodcution Package. By calling kodak UK you can get a single competitive price for stock/processing/2 camera package/telecine. All the major UK camera rental companies are supporting this, as are both film processing labs (idailies and Cinelabs). With that single phone call kodak can slide the shooting ratio to fit whatever your budget is, effectively matching the costs of shooting arriraw/red dragon etc. the only thing that changes is the shooting ratio. So now in theory if producer had a budget of say 100k for camera/data processing for a 10week shoot, then Kodak can now equate that to a film equivalent shooting ratio.

Its being trialed in the UK and if it's a success here it will be rolled out in other countries. Expect an "official" announcement in the coming weeks but this is in effect right now, so if you have a feature on the cards in the UK it's worth a phone call to Sam to see what shooting ratio you'd get for your money.

It's taken a lot of hard work on the part of Kodak, Panavision, Arri, Cinelabs, IDailies and several members of the BSC to make this happen but we think this is a very positive step forward and hopefully one that will be embraced by producers and directors.

Keep your eyes peeled for the official announcement and in the meantime call Sam at Kodak for more details.

• Premium Member

Great as it is to see this, I think that it's a bit head-in-sand to try and make price comparisons to digital formats. You can, if you're really very creative, make it comparable, but you really have to try very hard.

I was wondering what your take on this might be, Phil. ;)

• Premium Member

Being a film buff, I do think it's a great idea. The only down side is that 10M films are becoming more and more rare. Most funded films are either a much higher budget OR substantially less, under 5M. You can very easily shoot a standard narrative feature on film for 5M, but most filmmakers will choose to save the money and shoot digitally if they have that low of a budget.

I'd love to see if their program incorporates 65mm stock… :D