candle light as sourse

Lens Lenin

i am shooting my collage project , with candle light as source single person candle in his hand, shooting with arri 435 xt, kodat:500T stock , how can i get that flicker effect and the warm tone of candle ,elite anamorphic lens maxium opening f 2.8.

Edited by Lens Lenin

Use candles that have a double wick. It will give you twice the brightness of a normal candle and provide enough brightness for an even exposure on 500T film stock. Place a small 3 or 5 inch fan slightly out of the camera frame, pointed toward the person holding the candle. Move the fan around so that the wind causing the flicker has an inconsistent effect. The flame will appear very warm on 500T film. Now...if you want a very warm effect with out using post production. Use an 85B filter on the lens. That will convert the 500T film into 320 Daylight, make the 2900K flame source very warm on the

5000K balanced filmstock. If you want to see an older movie that has this same effect, check out ' BACKDRAFT'

. Notice how orange/warm the flames are at 00:43.

• Premium Member

how can i imitate candle light with tungsten light source ,and flicker effect

Lots of ways. One way is to have a multiple small tungsten fresnels bunched together and going into individual dimmers. Then you ride the dimmers so that as one goes up another goes down. Try to make it random. There is a device called the Magic Gadgets Flicker Box that will automate the flicker effect for you. Otherwise you need one person on each dimmer.

Burn a candle in a dark room. White things look quite white. The candle flame itself looks quite yellow. You see this even when the flame is next to the white thing.

But when you photograph that same candle lit room the white things look quite yellow, while the candle flame itself looks quite white.

It's an example where color photography goes horribly wrong, that is, deviant to how we see.

• The limited dynamic range of photography dooms the candle flame to burnout.
  • Human chromatic adaptation is more complex than white balancing.
  • Intra picture chromatic adaptation doesn't occur.

I've wondered how pre-photographic artists rendered candle lit rooms. Here's a good example where the artist (Petrus Van Schendel) painted what he saw.a_market_scene_by_candle_light-large.jpg

What can do but let our camera or film do its thing? The color relation of the flame to white things comes out backwards and yet acceptable, or we've learned to accept it. Would persons from candle lit times laugh at our simulations?

ya he will move the candle ,size normal sized hall

That sounds like it will be mostly composed as a wide to medium wide shot. A wide shot will prevent you using additional light fixtures. You should use the double wick candle. If you can hide a small battery powered fan on the actor (perhaps waist level), that will provide the flicker. Just make sure that fan doesn't blow out the candle flame. :)