Ana Monteiro

I've became really passionate with Cinema in the past 3 years, and before that I was already passionate about photography, for about 6/7 years now. And so I've decided that I'd like to experiment on this journey of filmmaking since it's something I quite enjoy doing and am currently studying. There's a lot of independet DSLR filmmakers now which is amazing.

And so I've decided to buy a new camera!

From my previous experience with photography, I'm more of a Canon fan since I first started with the classic Canon AE-1.

I don't really have a big budget, but I'd like to invest in something that has quality and is worth the price, and that will be able to last me a couple of years until something greater comes along or I am able to afford a better one.

Since I am between photography and filmmaking, I was looking for a camera with both. Or would it be better to just invest in a filmmaking camera? (I own a Canon 1000D for photography, but it doesn't capture video.)

And if I do go for a DSLR with both photography and video, I thought about Canon 70D, since I can't afford a Canon 5D and I think it might be a little out of my league yet.

So please, I'd appreciate some opinions if possible! :)

• Premium Member

I have no direct experience of the 70D, but you can get some quite nice results out of most of the Canon DSLRs (and indeed other DSLRs that shoot video). The advantage you'll have with Canon is that your lenses will fit both the 1000D and a 70D.

What do you plan to do about editing?

P

• Upvote 1

I have no direct experience of the 70D, but you can get some quite nice results out of most of the Canon DSLRs (and indeed other DSLRs that shoot video). The advantage you'll have with Canon is that your lenses will fit both the 1000D and a 70D.

What do you plan to do about editing?

P

Exactly, one of the main reasons why I am thinking about a Canon.

do you experience more video, or photography? If so, which cameras do you have? And would you recommend them?

I've worked mostly with Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas, however I prefer Premiere.

• Premium Member

I do mostly video, but I don't own equipment. If I wanted to own equipment at that sort of level, I'd buy a Sony A7S, but that's nearly three times the cost of a 70D. So, the 70D may be as good as anything.

Evaluate carefully whether you really need to own camera equipment at all. When you're just starting out, of course, it can be very useful to be able to play around whenever you like.

P

• Upvote 1

I do mostly video, but I don't own equipment. If I wanted to own equipment at that sort of level, I'd buy a Sony A7S, but that's nearly three times the cost of a 70D. So, the 70D may be as good as anything.

Evaluate carefully whether you really need to own camera equipment at all. When you're just starting out, of course, it can be very useful to be able to play around whenever you like.

P

Thank you so much, I appreciate your help! :)

What's your total budget? Do you already own some lenses and a tripod? Do you need the ability to record audio?

Since I'm only a started in this, and if I do end up getting a job in the fill or anything related, then in that time I'd like to purchase a really good and expensive one, but in the mean time I wouldn't like to spend any more than 600€ - 1,500€ in a DSLR, so that's probably how far I'd go on my budget... -_-

I own 2 lens, a 18-55mm and a 70-300mm, and I'm buying a 50mm when I purchase the camera (however I probably didn't make it clear, but I'm only looking for a body camera, no lens included).

I also own a basic tripod from 'Hama' and a videomic go from 'Rode' which has been pretty decent for me so far.

To be honest, 1500 Euro isn't much in the video world.

With that in mind, the most important question is, what kind of films you would like to shoot? Documentary or fiction? Are you a Cinematographer or Director?

Because as you probably know, a Cinematographer would like lights to learn the craft, so maybe in that case, it'll be good to plan a project or two for a weekend(or two), and rent some lights and camera?

going back to cameras, assuming it's fiction you're after and referring to your first post, I would actually consider a video only camera.

I would recommend you to push the budget up a little bit and get a used Blackmagic Pocket (about 600-700 euro) + Metabones speedbooster EF (500 Euro new), and try to get the best glass you can, at minimum something like Sigma 17-50 OS (350 Euro new or less used) the image stabilising will also help a bit with this camera. That will amount to 1700-1800 (including SD cards and batteries), and you could use the lens for photography on your other canon body. The BMPCC will get you good cinematic images.

I think the simplicity of it, great dynamic range and small size would be a great tool for you to learn the craft of composing and capturing available light or working with practicals.

just my 2c.

To be honest, 1500 Euro isn't much in the video world.

With that in mind, the most important question is, what kind of films you would like to shoot? Documentary or fiction? Are you a Cinematographer or Director?

Because as you probably know, a Cinematographer would like lights to learn the craft, so maybe in that case, it'll be good to plan a project or two for a weekend(or two), and rent some lights and camera?

going back to cameras, assuming it's fiction you're after and referring to your first post, I would actually consider a video only camera.

I would recommend you to push the budget up a little bit and get a used Blackmagic Pocket (about 600-700 euro) + Metabones speedbooster EF (500 Euro new), and try to get the best glass you can, at minimum something like Sigma 17-50 OS (350 Euro new or less used) the image stabilising will also help a bit with this camera. That will amount to 1700-1800 (including SD cards and batteries), and you could use the lens for photography on your other canon body. The BMPCC will get you good cinematic images.

I think the simplicity of it, great dynamic range and small size would be a great tool for you to learn the craft of composing and capturing available light or working with practicals.

just my 2c.

Thank you very much for your opinion, but I have to keep in mind that I'm not going to go fully professional on this - I'm currently studying Photojournalism and Digital Video, but I'll be finishing this year, and if lucky, I'll try studying in Wien's Academy of Fine Arts where I will most likely proceed in the studies of cinema - at least not for now.

I do want to invest, and feel like I have bought something that I am happy and comfortable with. I will look into your suggestions, but your very own words, I'm wondering if it might be a bit too professional for now ? Hence I was leaning more for a "okay" DSLR, since a lot of great short films are made with those nowadays.

I'd be looking more into both fictional and documentary. I have no experience with fictional however. And most likely towards the cinematographer side, but renting wouldn't do it for me and there isn't any place nearby where I could get that done either. I have a friend who has a few light equipments and those are the ones I'd be using for now, until I purchase my own.

The reason why I wouldn't like to be highering my budget any more, is because I'll also be purchasing a new laptop - most likely a 'Asus ROG GL551JM' since it has been considered one of the greatested laptops for video editing due to his 16GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M.

Once again, thank you so much for your opinion, and I will most certainly look into it!

I'd recommend the Sony RX10 for a 1080 camera. Or the new Samsung NX500 for a 4K camera. RX10 has a fixed lens but It's got an electronic zoom and a good zeiss 28-200 T2.8 built in. Samsung sports a 16mm - 50. For the price they're both great for video. Super easy and entry level.

Larger DSLR's are a slippery slope where, by the time you're done with the add ons and lenses you've spent thousands. For those on a budget the RX10 NX500 are great starters.

Thank you very much for your opinion, but I have to keep in mind that I'm not going to go fully professional on this - I'm currently studying Photojournalism and Digital Video, but I'll be finishing this year, and if lucky, I'll try studying in Wien's Academy of Fine Arts where I will most likely proceed in the studies of cinema - at least not for now.

I do want to invest, and feel like I have bought something that I am happy and comfortable with. I will look into your suggestions, but your very own words, I'm wondering if it might be a bit too professional for now ? Hence I was leaning more for a "okay" DSLR, since a lot of great short films are made with those nowadays.

I'd be looking more into both fictional and documentary. I have no experience with fictional however. And most likely towards the cinematographer side, but renting wouldn't do it for me and there isn't any place nearby where I could get that done either. I have a friend who has a few light equipments and those are the ones I'd be using for now, until I purchase my own.

The reason why I wouldn't like to be highering my budget any more, is because I'll also be purchasing a new laptop - most likely a 'Asus ROG GL551JM' since it has been considered one of the greatested laptops for video editing due to his 16GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M.

Once again, thank you so much for your opinion, and I will most certainly look into it!

Hi Ana,

What I suggested is far from a professional setup, but it's a good setup, with amazing image quality (for the price) that could help you learn, as a Cinematographer I would always like good sharpness and even more important great Dynamic range, BMPCC has fantastic dynamic range, even better than some very expensive cameras that cost 5-10 times as much.

The BMPCC+Speedbooster is not that more expensive from a 70D, for me DSLR were great 2-3 years ago, but now there are better Alternatives with better recording codec (Prores) and cleaner image.

Having said that, a 70D is also a good choice, I think it's got two great benefits and that is the flip out LCD and the Auto focus function, but I almost never used auto focus, so it's not a big deal for me.

As for computer, I (and 90% of filmmakers I know) edit on mac, so I can't really tell you anything about the computer you mentioned, I could tell you that any used 13" macbook pro from 2011 and up will edit prores footage easy, Louis CK edits all of his TV series Louie on a 13" macbook just fine, and many, many other editors friends of mine.

Hi Ana,

What I suggested is far from a professional setup, but it's a good setup, with amazing image quality (for the price) that could help you learn, as a Cinematographer I would always like good sharpness and even more important great Dynamic range, BMPCC has fantastic dynamic range, even better than some very expensive cameras that cost 5-10 times as much.

The BMPCC+Speedbooster is not that more expensive from a 70D, for me DSLR were great 2-3 years ago, but now there are better Alternatives with better recording codec (Prores) and cleaner image.

Having said that, a 70D is also a good choice, I think it's got two great benefits and that is the flip out LCD and the Auto focus function, but I almost never used auto focus, so it's not a big deal for me.

As for computer, I (and 90% of filmmakers I know) edit on mac, so I can't really tell you anything about the computer you mentioned, I could tell you that any used 13" macbook pro from 2011 and up will edit prores footage easy, Louis CK edits all of his TV series Louie on a 13" macbook just fine, and many, many other editors friends of mine.

Once again thank you so much for your opinion, I profoundly appreciate it. Those were some of the main reasons why I was choosing the 70D, and also because I can't afford the 5D Mark II, otherwise that's the one I would buy. I will most definitely be checking the camera you suggested.

I am aware that macbook pro is indeed a great laptop to edit video, however I'd never betray myself into buying a macbook. There's multiple windows laptops who can be was good as some mac's, like the one I mentioned. It was also suggested as one of the best work stations in 2014 for video editing.

• Premium Member

Everyone using Apple for everything is very much a US phenomenon - unless you have clients demanding particular pieces of software, you really don't need to spend the extra money.

Nothing wrong with Apple, I hasten to add. Just a bit expensive.

• Upvote 1

Everyone using Apple for everything is very much a US phenomenon - unless you have clients demanding particular pieces of software, you really don't need to spend the extra money.

Nothing wrong with Apple, I hasten to add. Just a bit expensive.

In my opinion Apple is still a overated brand, they are good and all but it's too much publicity and marketing, they built a "name" and that's pretty much what their products are based on. Same goes for the "beats". Any Windows work station or laptop can do the same as any Apple, in my opinion.

A bit silly to derail your thread by alienating people helping you on this board using Macs. Have you ever used a ProRes workflow on a Windows machine? Many of us make use of a plethora of tools available in the modern-day toolbox. I would recommend for your own sake not putting yourself in one corner or another, because who knows? Maybe someday you will need to depend on something you might not have expected to. The same goes for digital cameras.

As for something that might fit your budget - you will never go wrong with a purpose-built cinema camera. The Black Magic pocketcameras are great for the image quality they provide at their price point, while being incredibly versatile.

Edited by Kenny N Suleimanagich

• Premium Member

The blackmagic stuff is very good. The pocket camera offers a lot for the money.

Apple stuff is also very good, but it's rather more premium priced.

There are probably things you can't do on windows that you can on a mac, and vice versa, although there are now several ways to do ProRes on Windows, including ways that are free.

P

Since you are a student and not going to make money, you can as well shoot with your phone and edit it and learn. If you pick up a Canon 70D, which is within your budget, then play around with it and learn shooting. Its APS-C sensor is nearly similar size to a S35 sensor. If you get paying jobs, rent equipment and shoot.

Mac is not just a US thing. Even in India, Mac is a standard as far as creatives are concerned. Mac vs Windows is a never ending pissing match... why get into that. If you think windows is good for you, then go ahead. There is no single path. So find your own path.